Doing a Level 4 Project Management Apprenticeship - Lack of degree an issue LT?

Watch
Perihelios
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I recently started a level 4 Project Management apprenticeship (the employer is a local authority). I will get a L4 Associate Project Management Qualification as well as APM Accreditation.

I'm really happy with the programme so far but one thing is worrying me. I don't have a degree, and I'm not sure if long term that will hold me back?

I have had a look at some job listings for project managers, and although many do not specify a degree is required, there are some which say things to the effect of "Ideally you will be educated to degree level" etc. This has me worried that a degree is "standard" for this kind of role, and I will be at a disadvantage in a papersift for not having one? Does anyone know if this is the case?
sophie_chu
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hmm, maybe you could try to go for a L6 (degree level) qualification after your L4 apprenticeship? So then you wouldn't have to go to university the traditional way to get a degree but would still be at the same level of education as a graduate.
username3973192
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Perihelios)
Hi, I recently started a level 4 Project Management apprenticeship (the employer is a local authority). I will get a L4 Associate Project Management Qualification as well as APM Accreditation.

I'm really happy with the programme so far but one thing is worrying me. I don't have a degree, and I'm not sure if long term that will hold me back?

I have had a look at some job listings for project managers, and although many do not specify a degree is required, there are some which say things to the effect of "Ideally you will be educated to degree level" etc. This has me worried that a degree is "standard" for this kind of role, and I will be at a disadvantage in a papersift for not having one? Does anyone know if this is the case?
Don't worry, after completion of your level 4 apprenticeship you could apply for a level 6 one. This will give you a degree and probably a job offer too
Staps
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
After the apprenticeship you will have 2 years experience in a project management role. A lot of roles say degree or relevant experience, which you'll have. I know a couple of people who completed a level 4 project management apprenticeship. 1 is still at the same company and another has got a job role elsewhere. Neither have found not having a degree a disadvantage due to having experience
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.17%
I'm not sure (59)
4.52%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (382)
29.25%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.83%
I'm not a current university student (643)
49.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed