The Student Room Group

Do universities judge you by appearance?

I really want to dye my hair light pink. I have good grades and would otherwise be fine in an interview but I’m worried that if I dye my hair pink, it may affect my chance of being accepted into university. Is this still the case today?

Scroll to see replies

If they do it's discrimination, they'll tend not to judge by appearance since they know it'll cause more issues.
No, of course not. They will have had plenty of people with coloured hair (and more 'out there' things than that) on their courses.
Original post by molraeh
I really want to dye my hair light pink. I have good grades and would otherwise be fine in an interview but I’m worried that if I dye my hair pink, it may affect my chance of being accepted into university. Is this still the case today?

Really don't think they'll care at all
Not usually.
But you might want to wait until after the interview to change your hair colour, some individual interviewers can be a bit on the traditionalist side.
My best friend was challenged over a henna tatoo and asked how many body piercings she had at interview.
She forgot to wear her watch and a hawkish interviewer spotted one temporary tatoo on her wrist.
Reply 5
That’s my worry... it all depends on who you get on the day I guess...
Reply 6
What course was your friend applying for and where?
Original post by londonmyst
Not usually.
But you might want to wait until after the interview to change your hair colour, some individual interviewers can be a bit on the traditionalist side.
My best friend was challenged over a henna tatoo and asked how many body piercings she had at interview.
She forgot to wear her watch and a hawkish interviewer spotted one temporary tatoo on her wrist.

Wild. I showed up to mine with my arm still wrapped in clingfilm from a large tattoo and visible piercings. He said nothing.

I later found out this particular person thinks tattoos are terribly unprofessional - especially in the NHS (my degree is biomed). But it didn't stop him accepting me and later considering me for a placement abroad (person who did get it is also into body mods and has funky coloured hair). :lol:
Original post by molraeh

uni is not school. school teachers are ********s, but at uni people are more open-minded. also unis are under pressure to recruit less posh people, your hair may indicate you are less posh lol
Original post by molraeh

Are you actually being serious? You think a UK university might look at your excellent academic record but then refuse to give you a place because your hair is pink?

I don't know why you've said 'is this still the case today?'. It's never been the case...
it's a perfectly reasonable question secondary schools are like that aren't they?
Original post by Reality Check
Are you actually being serious? You think a UK university might look at your excellent academic record but then refuse to give you a place because your hair is pink?

I don't know why you've said 'is this still the case today?'. It's never been the case...
I wouldn't say all teachers care about stuff like that by any means, but at the school where I work half-hearted attempts are made to get kids not to do stuff like dye their hair bright colours. Trying to get students to conform is more about discipline I think....and unis don't have the same problems schools have on that front since it's not compulsory for uni students to be there so if they don't like it they can easily leave...or the uni can kick them out if their behaviour is anti social.

At uni everyone is an adult and both students and staff are generally more respecful towards one another - including respectful of each others rights to do what they want with their hair, clothes etc.
Reply 12
thank you!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 13
Well it was just a question but thanks anyway lol
Reply 14
Original post by molraeh

Which course are you applying to that requires an interview?

And no, pink hair will make zero diffrence.
I don’t think they’ll care at all.
Reply 16
If you're studying the arts then it's practically a requirement
Reply 17
Original post by A Rolling Stone
it's a perfectly reasonable question secondary schools are like that aren't they?

At my high school you could get expelled for dying your hair. I once got a detention because it was touching my collar lol.
Original post by Jono*
At my high school you could get expelled for dying your hair. I once got a detention because it was touching my collar lol.

Haha PRSOM
Reply 19
Oh good. I want to do liberal arts and Korean at kings college London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending