The Student Room Group

Gavin Williamson sacked

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
When you tell the young 'uns that, they don't believe you.

I am well aware of that, I listen to it on occasion when I’m awake at 6am. But I now tend to tune into Nick Ferrari on LBC in the mornings
Original post by Andrew97
I am well aware of that, I listen to it on occasion when I’m awake at 6am. But I now tend to tune into Nick Ferrari on LBC in the mornings

LBC is definitely better than Radio 4, they at least have some variety in the political views of guests and presenters, unlike Today, which is now nothing but a servile butler to the Brexit tendency of the Tory Party.
LBC is definitely better than Radio 4, they at least have some variety in the political views of guests and presenters, unlike Today, which is now nothing but a servile butler to the Brexit tendency of the Tory Party.

Don't get me started on the steady decline of the Today programme...
Reply 43
#GetsPopcorn

D5f-2XYXoAA824q.jpg
It would be interesting if he is indeed proven innocent of wrongdoing...
Original post by Doones
#GetsPopcorn

D5f-2XYXoAA824q.jpg

Gotta love Nick Abbot on LBC :rofl:
Non story.

This government is a total joke. It is laughable. Pitiable in fact.

Who cares who is Defence Secretary? What long term Defence decisions are being taken?

Theresa May doesn't command a majority in the House of Commons for the most important issue not only of the day but our generation. We have a zombie administration.

Rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic all you want, Theresa, it matters not a jot. Time to go.
If he really is guilty I await the police investigation. Given the severity of the leak there is no justification for keeping the police out of it, especially if it is so obvious that Williamson is guilty, alas I expect it is unlikely for fear of them not coming to the same conclusion.

Heuwai are up to no good. Too many countries have accused them of illicit activity including USA. Williamson (if he was the leak) did exactly the right thing. Should be given a peerage ( and be made PM)
Reply 49
Good, he was a cretin who didnt know a thing about the job.
Reply 50
Original post by Tempest II
According to Wikipedia, Penny Mordaunt is a Royal Navy Reservist and comes from a military family. While I don't necessarily think it's mandatory that a Secretary of State for Defence should have served in the UK armed forces, I certainly think it's highly desirable. Only time will tell if she's up to the job.

Of course she isnt, she's a politician. although my cynicism aside, why do you think having a military background would be of much use? After all this is a political role, not one that requires any knowledge of the armed forces (as aptly demonstrated for decades). I mean how exactly does shooting a few tribesman make you competent to be a minister of the crown? Especially a weekend warrior.
Original post by Andrew97
Has Grayling actually broken any laws?

Official Secrets Act?
Reply 52
Good on whoever leaked, Huawei should be nowhere near out infrastructure.
Having said that, he was clearly only interested in himself and not the forces.
Not that this Part-time Navy girl will be any better... How can she be both at the bottom of the food chain and the top at the same time?
There is only one real choice for the job but TM doesn't have the guts to put JM in the position.
Original post by Doones
#GetsPopcorn

Note the difference between the letters:-

"...the latest information from the investigation, which provides compelling evidence suggesting your responsibility for the unauthorised disclosure"

"...you feel recent leaks from the National Security Council originated in my Department"

No Gavin, she is not saying that some MOD official or soldier blabbed and you must carry the can as the ministerial head of the department.

She is saying you told someone you shouldn't and the person you told blabbed to the Telegraph.
Original post by Napp
Of course she isnt, she's a politician. although my cynicism aside, why do you think having a military background would be of much use? After all this is a political role, not one that requires any knowledge of the armed forces (as aptly demonstrated for decades). I mean how exactly does shooting a few tribesman make you competent to be a minister of the crown? Especially a weekend warrior.

And this statement proves you clearly don't understand the role of the job, if you don't have any experience of service (actual service and not being a part timer) then how can you have any real understanding of the impacts of your decisions and policies on serving personnel eh?
Original post by StriderHort

It seems a bit of an obvious CV to have, but politically people are a bit funny about it, they'd prefer the role was as civilian as possible.

Manny Shinwell was Defence Secretary during the Korean War without any military experience at a time when it was harder to find an MP who hadn't been in the armed forces than one that had.
Reply 56
Original post by Y333EEE
And this statement proves you clearly don't understand the role of the job, if you don't have any experience of service (actual service and not being a part timer) then how can you have any real understanding of the impacts of your decisions and policies on serving personnel eh?

You’ll pardon me if I laughed slightly at that comment.
Read what I wrote again. The answer to you ‘question’ lies within.
Equally most of the policies comes from #10.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Y333EEE

So does that mean you can't be the minister for disabilities unless you are disabled or the minister for agriculture unless you have been a farmer?
Original post by Napp
You’ll pardon me if I laughed slightly at that comment.
Read what I wrote again. The answer to you ‘question’ lies within.
Equally most of the policies comes from #10.

Your statement of 'why do you think having a military background would be any use' clearly shows you have no understanding of the job role. If you have no experience of the regular armed forces then how do you expect them to have any understanding of their policies and decisions on personnel.
Reply 59
Original post by Molseh
Ignore Napp he is a terrorist sympathiser and all round anti-military.

Ahahah ahahahahahahaha oh good lord that made me laugh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending