The Student Room Group

C2 --> which calculators are allowed?

Yeah, I lost my calculator last week and I have Edexcel C2 exam next Monday and my mates told me that we are not allowed to use some calculators (that have integration signs etc.) in the exam.... I was thinking of borrowing my sister's calculator, her one is TEXET albert^5 Solar. Do you know if this calculator is allowed to use in C2 exam???

Thanks in advanced! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

its not graphic (is it?)

if so then i doubt theres a problem. and the invigilators arenl;t going to have a clue if its banned anyway.

the only calculators that are banned is the ones that can find areas under curves for you etc
Reply 2
a lot of them are banned. Mines got taken away in m1 :frown:
Use the casio ones, but not the shiny silver one.
Reply 3
Any, as long as they can not do symbolic diffrentiation or integration or calculate area under curves like didgeridoo12uk said.
the only ones that are banned are the really posh ones, which are generally expensive, so thats a good way to tell
Reply 5
ClaireHogben
the only ones that are banned are the really posh ones, which are generally expensive, so thats a good way to tell

No, mines cost £8,looked the same as the others, and was taken away in the exam :frown:
Try doing M1 without a calculator =\
Reply 6
rahulsood
No, mines cost £8,looked the same as the others, and was taken away in the exam :frown:

damn that sucks, retake for sure then?
Reply 7
rahulsood
a lot of them are banned. Mines got taken away in m1 :frown:
Use the casio ones, but not the shiny silver one.

lol, I've used the silver one for every exam.. ever. Never been taken away..

:biggrin:
Reply 8
rahulsood

No way, they would have given you a calculator right.. ?
Reply 9
Method
damn that sucks, retake for sure then?

Pretty much, yeah :frown:
I hope i still scraped about 70/100 UMS though. :frown:
Reply 10
Rei
No way, they would have given you a calculator right.. ?

In the last 10 minutes, yeah...
they didn't have a spare, and 'couldn't allow me to cheat'. :frown:
As long as it doesn't do symbolic algebra, it's fine.
Reply 12
Rei
lol, I've used the silver one for every exam.. ever. Never been taken away..

:biggrin:

Apparently, they're not allowed. And maths teachers invigilate my maths exams :frown:, well they come to check at least. =[
didgeridoo12uk

the only calculators that are banned is the ones that can find areas under curves for you etc

Bullcrap.

My fx199ES does numerical integration and my teacher's had a good look at it. She said it was fine.

Used it in my S1 and M1 and it wasn't taken off me.
Yeah, as others have said, as long as your calculator doesn't differentiate/integrate for you, you'll be fine. Even the Casio ones with the natural display are fine, which is good because they work out simplified surds and fractions for you, and they give accurate answers to trigonometric equations in fractions as well.
SomeStudent
Yeah, I lost my calculator last week and I have Edexcel C2 exam next Monday and my mates told me that we are not allowed to use some calculators (that have integration signs etc.) in the exam.... I was thinking of borrowing my sister's calculator, her one is TEXET albert^5 Solar. Do you know if this calculator is allowed to use in C2 exam???

Thanks in advanced! :smile:

Use your brain :wink:
Reply 16
The fx-991ES (Silver Calculator) should be allowed, it doesn't break the JCQ regulations

http://www.jcq.org.uk/attachments/published/898/JCQ%20ICE.pdf - Page 11
That's the one I use.

It does numerical differentiation and integration but guidelines suggest anything that does symbolic is disallowed.

The fx991ES is perfectly fine.

It's JUST within boundaries though.

It can solve quadratics, simultaneous and single variable equations as well. Very good calc :smile:
Reply 18
didgeridoo12uk

Mine does that, and it's perfectly allowed.
EvenStevens
Bullcrap.

My fx199ES does numerical integration and my teacher's had a good look at it. She said it was fine.

Used it in my S1 and M1 and it wasn't taken off me.

Yeh i have an fx199ES that does integration with limits and differentiation but you have to say what x equals. So it isn't symbolic, therefore allowed.

Quick Reply

Latest