Anna banana :)
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I was checking over my specification for history to check I had covered everything, and found out that I had missed the Battle of Marne. I have tried researching how it developed and how it let to the stalemate but I have gotten very confused about what happened when and why and the different rivers like Aisne.

Could someone please explain to me how the Schlieffen plan developed into the Battle of Marne and how this developed into trench warefare and why? Thanks for the help greatly appreciated

Also I’m now very confused as to how the stalemate developed - I had an exam question on the main reasons for the development of the stalemate. Could someone explain this to me? Is the schlieffen plan and the battle of marne two different reasons or are they the same? Please help!😬
Last edited by Anna banana :); 5 months ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anna banana :))
I was checking over my specification for history to check I had covered everything, and found out that I had missed the Battle of Marne. I have tried researching how it developed and how it let to the stalemate but I have gotten very confused about what happened when and why and the different rivers like Aisne.

Could someone please explain to me how the Schlieffen plan developed into the Battle of Marne and how this developed into trench warefare and why? Thanks for the help greatly appreciated

Also I’m now very confused as to how the stalemate developed - I had an exam question on the main reasons for the development of the stalemate. Could someone explain this to me? Is the schlieffen plan and the battle of marne two different reasons or are they the same? Please help!😬
A bit late and dont know if the exam has been sat. You can watch these vids as they give an overall picture of what was happening at the time.

The Schlieffen plan was the major German military attack aimed at knocking the French out of the war, so they could avoid a prolonged war on two fronts.
It was working well until the French were able to attack the rapidly advancing Germans in the flank. Just watch the videos. Up until that stage the Germans were winning and constantly pushing back the BEF and the French so they were in retreat.
Because the French able to attack in the flank it threatened the German supply lines and could do much more damage if they could get behind them.
A gap opened up between the advancing German forces approximately 30km wide. The British were ordered to advance into the gap, thus further threatening the Germans flank and rear. This could lead to large casualties, encirclement and loss of supplies. Upon realising this the Germans were forced into retreat. This was the first battle of the Marne.
The Allies followed up and eventually kept pushing the Germans back. To stop this the Germans dug in and made trenches which were very difficult for the allies to get past. The Allies also dug in and there you have the start of Trench warfare which lasted most of the rest of the war. It was also an end to the Schlieffen plan and the beginning of stalemate.

So to answer your question is the Schlieffen plan of itself a reason for stalemate? The answer would be no as they were very close to capturing Paris.
See the video on why it failed.

Is the fact the Schlieffen plan was defeated/ prevented from succeeding a reason for the stalemate? Definite yes because otherwise the Germans would have gone on to knock France out of the war. Stopping it kept France and by default Britain in the war.

The events which covered the prevention of the Germans succeeding was the battle of the Marne, because it stopped an advance and pushed the Germans into retreat.

By default, even though it Kept France in the war and stopped defeat a consequence of pushing the Germans back caused them to change the style of warfare and dig in to form trenches, so in a way the Allied victory caused the Germans to change , which the Allies then copied, then you have trench warfare which made it very difficult to gain knockout victories because neither side could easily attack and break through trenches due to things like artillery, machine guns, barbed wire and lack of protection.

Watch the videos and hope that helps you understand how it all fits together.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (106)
17.76%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
27.3%
Not great so far... (212)
35.51%
I want to drop out! (116)
19.43%

Watched Threads