Gcse german speaking Watch

yasmin03
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Okay so my gcse german speaking test is next Tuesday (7th) and I’m not exactly sure how to revise. For most of year 10 my german teacher was ill so we didn’t really have her (but we got a new teacher in January of this year), so I’d not done a mock speaking test before he had us do one in February. I winged it and honestly I did awfully. So, any tips/ anything I should know? And what’s the best way to learn my conversation answers?

Side note: I can actually do german quite well, over reading, writing and listening I managed to get a band 7, but my last speaking test dragged my overall grade down to a 6.

umbrellala
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by yasmin03)
Okay so my gcse german speaking test is next Tuesday (7th) and I’m not exactly sure how to revise. For most of year 10 my german teacher was ill so we didn’t really have her (but we got a new teacher in January of this year), so I’d not done a mock speaking test before he had us do one in February. I winged it and honestly I did awfully. So, any tips/ anything I should know? And what’s the best way to learn my conversation answers?

Side note: I can actually do german quite well, over reading, writing and listening I managed to get a band 7, but my last speaking test dragged my overall grade down to a 6.
Honestly I didn't revise for my GCSE speaking exams, but now I'm doing a language at uni so this is how I revise for speaking exams. Usually, I split my revision into topics and make mind maps of the kind of vocab and verbs I'd need for each one of those topics. Then I highlight and make flashcards of the words I don't know that well. Then I'll randomly pick a topic and write down as many words as I can think of within a time limit (2-3mins is how long I give myself) so that when I'm asked a specific topic I know I'll be able to think of the words I'll need. If you're trying to learn set answers, flashcards are probably the best way to go. Write a question on one side and an answer on the other, then just keep going through them until you know them all. My biggest tip is to be as relaxed as possible! If you can chill out and enjoy the exam then you'll be able to give your best answers.
yasmin03
Rep:
?
(Original post by umbrellala)
Honestly I didn't revise for my GCSE speaking exams, but now I'm doing a language at uni so this is how I revise for speaking exams. Usually, I split my revision into topics and make mind maps of the kind of vocab and verbs I'd need for each one of those topics. Then I highlight and make flashcards of the words I don't know that well. Then I'll randomly pick a topic and write down as many words as I can think of within a time limit (2-3mins is how long I give myself) so that when I'm asked a specific topic I know I'll be able to think of the words I'll need. If you're trying to learn set answers, flashcards are probably the best way to go. Write a question on one side and an answer on the other, then just keep going through them until you know them all. My biggest tip is to be as relaxed as possible! If you can chill out and enjoy the exam then you'll be able to give your best answers.
Thank you, I’ll try this out
yasmin03
Rep:
?
umbrellala I tried this out and it really helped, thank you! My speaking test went really well and my teacher even commented on how well-prepared I was. Thank you!
umbrellala
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by yasmin03)
umbrellala I tried this out and it really helped, thank you! My speaking test went really well and my teacher even commented on how well-prepared I was. Thank you!
No problem, I'm glad it went well!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Open Day – BPC, GDL, LPC and MA Law - Bristol campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 18 Jan '20
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (66)
15.1%
1 (58)
13.27%
2 (56)
12.81%
3 (91)
20.82%
4 (89)
20.37%
5 (77)
17.62%