The Student Room Group

Can I get into Cambridge Uni?

Been told by my teachers that's there’s basically no point in trying to apply for Cambridge as I’m just not gonna get in due to my GCSE grades. I got 6 level 7’s (old money A grade) 3 level 6’s and 2 5’s. I am well aware of how competitive Oxbridge is and know that this is not favourable but thought that surely this alone wouldn’t be the do all end all. I know I will have to work much much harder than applicants who got all 8/9’s and am prepared to do that but I feel so sad and pathetic that I even thought to aim high. Are there any people who got average GCSE grades and still got in? Any tips? Thanks xx

Scroll to see replies

you haven't even gotten your gcse grades so why is this worrying you!! One of the most annoying things on TSR is when someone says ''my gcse predicted grades are low will I get into Oxford :frown::frown::frown:'' like are they your real grades? no! so you can get into Cambridge
Reply 2
Original post by mpaprika
you haven't even gotten your gcse grades so why is this worrying you!! One of the most annoying things on TSR is when someone says ''my gcse predicted grades are low will I get into Oxford :frown::frown::frown:'' like are they your real grades? no! so you can get into Cambridge

They are my real GCSE grades
Original post by Kaaaylaaa
Been told by my teachers that's there’s basically no point in trying to apply for Cambridge as I’m just not gonna get in due to my GCSE grades. I got 6 level 7’s (old money A grade) 3 level 6’s and 2 5’s. I am well aware of how competitive Oxbridge is and know that this is not favourable but thought that surely this alone wouldn’t be the do all end all. I know I will have to work much much harder than applicants who got all 8/9’s and am prepared to do that but I feel so sad and pathetic that I even thought to aim high. Are there any people who got average GCSE grades and still got in? Any tips? Thanks xx

anything is possible btwww so duh u can make sure u ace ur interview and a levels
oh, I'm clearly blind then, my bad. Ibz Mo got ''bad'' (no As and A*s) and got into Cambridge, all is possible
They are my real GCSE grades
Reply 5
Original post by bobzzzzzz
anything is possible btwww so duh u can make sure u ace ur interview and a levels

Yh that’s what I always tell myself :frown: thanks xxx
Reply 6
Original post by mpaprika
oh, I'm clearly blind then, my bad. Ibz Mo got ''bad'' (no As and A*s) and got into Cambridge, all is possible

Yh I watch his channel that’s very true I guess and no worries 😂 thank you xxx
it depends on how competitive the course you want to do is

it's entirely possible tho :-) there's a youtuber called ibz mo who got into cambridge having 2 B's and 3 C's at gcse
Reply 8

tbh I am not planning on going to Oxford nor Cambridge. I got good grades and doing my last year of a levels now, but just to inform you about something, this isn't me having a go at you nooo i just want to make sure that you don't feel sad and pathetic because honestly you are a bright individual and I am aware of how it feels when you try your best to achieve something and it doesn't turn out how you would have wanted it to turn out but it's the thought that counts at the end of the day. if you want to achieve something it won't be easy you will come across many other problems that will prevent you from going any further but it comes down to what you do to overcome them. cambridge and Oxford do hold status and the best students and professionals but don't let that get to you because there are other universities that also provide the same, league table to explain everything, unless you truly want to go to these universities then asides grades show that your a passionate individual through your personal statement which will be your only hope. But never feel upset and instead grateful as there are others who are exactly like you but haven't even got 5 GCSE C's.

Hiya,

Don’t feel sad or pathetic for aiming high! It’s great to be ambitious and I believe it will get you far in your studys. However, oxbridge is highly competitive and places on course are sought after from students around the world! They use GCSEs to score for interview and they also show work ethic and your academic abilities therefore high GCSEs are favoured massively. Most successful applicants have 10 A*/A/9/8 GCSEs Even though people rave about oxbridge, it isn’t for everyone and there a loads of really good universities out there. Also, you must take into account whether you could see yourself at the university, whether the course is right for you - don’t just base it off league tables or other peoples views. Another thing to note, is for normal people (like myself) who go to state schools and aren’t the richest, they don’t allow students to have a part time job whilst studying at either Oxford or Cambridge.

It’s great to be ambitious and there are lots of other places out there. What subject area are you looking at? I can relate with you - I am an ambitious person, but I wasn’t an A* student at GCSE I got 7s and 6s with one 5. For people who want to ambitious, but are stuck with GCSEs that may not be right for the courses at oxbridge it is best to not apply. Especially because we all know it is competitive, people with amazing grades still get rejected. Therefore, it would be best for you to maximise your chances of getting offers by doing a bit of research and apply to other universities. I’m sorry for being a bit of a party pooper, but that’s the reality and, again, there are so many top quality institutions. Oxbridge for me personally would be somewhere I would feel uncomfortable studying at since I’m from the South West of England and a ‘low-achieving state school’ I would feel like I’d stick out like a sore thumb.

Best of luck on your university endeavours. Always look out for Gateway programmes, programmes with Foundation years just in case you don’t meet some of the minimum requirements. All you have to do is an extra year (called year zero) and then you can carry in with your chosen course as long as you pass!

Hope all goes well,

Millie
Reply 10
Original post by Millie_Rose_
Hiya,

Don’t feel sad or pathetic for aiming high! It’s great to be ambitious and I believe it will get you far in your studys. However, oxbridge is highly competitive and places on course are sought after from students around the world! They use GCSEs to score for interview and they also show work ethic and your academic abilities therefore high GCSEs are favoured massively. Most successful applicants have 10 A*/A/9/8 GCSEs Even though people rave about oxbridge, it isn’t for everyone and there a loads of really good universities out there. Also, you must take into account whether you could see yourself at the university, whether the course is right for you - don’t just base it off league tables or other peoples views. Another thing to note, is for normal people (like myself) who go to state schools and aren’t the richest, they don’t allow students to have a part time job whilst studying at either Oxford or Cambridge.

It’s great to be ambitious and there are lots of other places out there. What subject area are you looking at? I can relate with you - I am an ambitious person, but I wasn’t an A* student at GCSE I got 7s and 6s with one 5. For people who want to ambitious, but are stuck with GCSEs that may not be right for the courses at oxbridge it is best to not apply. Especially because we all know it is competitive, people with amazing grades still get rejected. Therefore, it would be best for you to maximise your chances of getting offers by doing a bit of research and apply to other universities. I’m sorry for being a bit of a party pooper, but that’s the reality and, again, there are so many top quality institutions. Oxbridge for me personally would be somewhere I would feel uncomfortable studying at since I’m from the South West of England and a ‘low-achieving state school’ I would feel like I’d stick out like a sore thumb.

Best of luck on your university endeavours. Always look out for Gateway programmes, programmes with Foundation years just in case you don’t meet some of the minimum requirements. All you have to do is an extra year (called year zero) and then you can carry in with your chosen course as long as you pass!

Hope all goes well,

Millie

this is better than how I could've explained it honestly it's quite a difficult situation some highly intelligent people find themselves in but it's about being grateful about what you have so far.
all i can say is watch Ibz mo videos - he didnt do too well at gcse but smashed his A levels and got accepted into cambridge
Original post by Fyz-
this is better than how I could've explained it honestly it's quite a difficult situation some highly intelligent people find themselves in but it's about being grateful about what you have so far.

Exactly. As long as you are working towards your own personal goals and feel happy with your achievements, you shouldn’t let be dictate what university is the best university because it is sooo subjective. Yes, oxbridge has a high reputation, but so do some many good universities, such a Russell groups. As long as you feel you’ve done your best, don’t worry about anything else. Although saying that I worry A LOT. It’s hard because I’m sort of naturally intelligent in some subjects, but for my A-Level chemistry and I need to put in twice the amount of effort and time in to get a a decent grade. It’s frustrating!!

Which subject(s) would you be applying for?

Some people really find their feet only at 'A' level. Universities know this - a sharp upward trajectory is a good thing. If you're passionate about your subjects, go for it. I'd only be really concerned about applying for Medicine. Good luck.

P.S. You can ask Cambridge, just to be able to know / shut your teachers up!

Oxbridge has a real issue with suitable candidates not applying, often through misinformation.
(edited 4 years ago)
If you really feel like going to either Oxford or Cambridge, I would definitely apply. You can do anything you want and if the opportunity to apply appeals to you, definitely just go for it! But I think it'd be best if you applied after visiting them (if you haven't already) and with the mindset that 'At least I applied!', even if perhaps you don't get accepted. Always be positive though.
How were the GCSE results of your cohort at your school? If you go to a poorly performing school this will help contextualise your results.

Just focus on doing the best you can in your A levels and then the worst that can happen is that you get a rejection.

Good luck!
Reply 16
Original post by whitedwarf
it depends on how competitive the course you want to do is

it's entirely possible tho :-) there's a youtuber called ibz mo who got into cambridge having 2 B's and 3 C's at gcse

It’s Psychological and Behavioural Sciences so I’d guess quite competence as psychology is a popular subject :/ and yh I know of him so there’s hope. Thanks so much I really appreciate it xx
Original post by miss americana
all i can say is watch Ibz mo videos - he didnt do too well at gcse but smashed his A levels and got accepted into cambridge

Ibz did have extenuating circumstances - pretty sure he talked about them in a video? So that might not be the case for some.
It’s Psychological and Behavioural Sciences so I’d guess quite competence as psychology is a popular subject :/ and yh I know of him so there’s hope. Thanks so much I really appreciate it xx

What A-Level subjects are you doing, and what grades are you currently working at?
Reply 19
Original post by Fyz-
tbh I am not planning on going to Oxford nor Cambridge. I got good grades and doing my last year of a levels now, but just to inform you about something, this isn't me having a go at you nooo i just want to make sure that you don't feel sad and pathetic because honestly you are a bright individual and I am aware of how it feels when you try your best to achieve something and it doesn't turn out how you would have wanted it to turn out but it's the thought that counts at the end of the day. if you want to achieve something it won't be easy you will come across many other problems that will prevent you from going any further but it comes down to what you do to overcome them. cambridge and Oxford do hold status and the best students and professionals but don't let that get to you because there are other universities that also provide the same, league table to explain everything, unless you truly want to go to these universities then asides grades show that your a passionate individual through your personal statement which will be your only hope. But never feel upset and instead grateful as there are others who are exactly like you but haven't even got 5 GCSE C's.

Yh I understand there is this huge stigma around Oxbridge as being the best but it’s not for everybody regardless of how “smart” they are for many different reasons but it is just something I’ve always wanted to do. Thank you I appreciate it x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending