Peterborough by election - Brexit Party for the win? Watch

Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
And compared herself to saints and prophets. Her chutzpah knows no bounds. I wonder if she will stand in the by-election.
I'm kinda surprised that she's even allowed to do so. But it is apparently legal for a disgraced, recalled MP to stand for election straight afterwards. I can't imagine many other jobs allowing that sort of thing, she's probably not going to be so lucky with re-applying to be a solicitor for example.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think the indignant one is not me.

My pertinent point was that you described her crimes as minor indiscretion. I'm happy to repeat that for as long as you wish, safe in the knowledge that I am right.

There is a rather apposite aphorism about holes and digging, but you are obviously not familiar with it.
Are you irony impaired here or?

You're 'point' is based on your inability to read and understand my comment but you're more than welcome to hold this position.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Dez)
I'm kinda surprised that she's even allowed to do so. But it is apparently legal for a disgraced, recalled MP to stand for election straight afterwards. I can't imagine many other jobs allowing that sort of thing, she's probably not going to be so lucky with re-applying to be a solicitor for example.
In fairness, when has anyone called MP's especially reputable? The fact they had to introduce specific legislation for this sort of thing instead of it being par for the course speaks volumes.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
I'm struggling to decide whether 'apposite aphorism' (which I greatly like) is tautologous.

You still write beautifully. It was a highlight of returning
Thank you. I'm glad you are back again.

I don't think it is a tautology but it is certainly alliterative.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Dez)
She'll be struck off in due course, and quite rightly. I imagine some morally bankrupt media organisation will then employ her to commentate on moral issues in politics.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Good, although this should have happened months ago.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)

You're 'point' is based on your inability to read and understand my comment but you're more than welcome to hold this position.
I'll let our readers make their own minds up about how clear you were, and whether you described her crimes as a minor indiscretion. They can also make their own minds up about your propensity to leap into insults when your arguments feel weak.
username4454836
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Dez)
You must remember that MPs are held to a much lower standard when compared to the general public. They can **** up one position and start a new one when the media have shifted their sights to their colleagues ****ing up in a different department.
Last edited by username4454836; 2 weeks ago
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Dez)
In this respect, she made me think of a insolvent company going into administration on one day and essentially resuming trading under a different name the next. Not even dropping a beat.
ThePootisPower
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think Brexit Party are gonna snag a seat hear. Should be a interesting proving ground for this party as it might make them release a manifesto, seeing as Farage refuses to do so until after the EU elections.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
generallee
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
The fact that a convicted criminal voted (whilst still tagged I believe) decisively voted alongside the Labour Party (under whose banner she was elected) in one of the most important votes held in the Commons for a century is an appalling reflection both on Parliament and that Party. Shameful. The voters will punish Labour for this unnecessary by election (unnecessary since her lack of moral probity should have been spotted by Labour before she even became a candidate), mark my words.

Obviously someone of your ilk is going to get their knickers in a twist or panties in a wad (those are the normal expressions, the first British the second American) at the mere mention of "EU migrants." How very dare I? How racist, how xenophobic! But it is relevant, because there is a causal link between support for Brexit in Eastern England (and places like Peterborough) and high rates of recent EU migration. That is a fact and the facts don't care about your feelings. How many of these EU migrants will have been here long enough to get a vote, and will then vote is a different matter. I don't believe it will be material, but we will see.

(Original post by Napp)
It's not a labour MP though? She was booted... although given the relative crimes all these MPs commit i find it rather droll that this minor indiscretion has gotten everyone's panties in such a twist.

At any rate given you can hardly call it a party whilst keep a straight face i doubt it. Not to mention by your own admission of "lots of eu migrants" that will likely ipso facto screw them nicely.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by generallee)
The fact that a convicted criminal voted (whilst still tagged I believe) decisively voted alongside the Labour Party (under whose banner she was elected) in one of the most important votes held in the Commons for a century is an appalling reflection both on Parliament and that Party. Shameful. The voters will punish Labour for this unnecessary by election (unnecessary since her lack of moral probity should have been spotted by Labour before she even became a candidate), mark my words.

Obviously someone of your ilk is going to get their knickers in a twist or panties in a wad (those are the normal expressions, the first British the second American) at the mere mention of "EU migrants." How very dare I? How racist, how xenophobic! But it is relevant, because there is a causal link between support for Brexit in Eastern England (and places like Peterborough) and high rates of recent EU migration. That is a fact and the facts don't care about your feelings. How many of these EU migrants will have been here long enough to get a vote, and will then vote is a different matter. I don't believe it will be material, but we will see.

Uhuh to your first paragraph;
1he isn’t a labour MP anymore so I’m unsure why you keep saying she is?
2: you seem to be implying I’m somehow defending her? I’m curious why you’d think that? I have a long and colourful history of bashing all of the MPs, this one being no different.

To your second ‘point’
It appears I touched a nerve 😂😏
I wasn’t aware Europeans were a different race though?
Uhuh why are my “feelings” on trial here? I was simply saying you have absolutely no basis for your risible little claims and thus to stop throwing a strop over anyone who doesn’t speak in an English accent.
generallee
Rep:
?
Fair enough, that is a view. I am not going to say you don't have much feel for British politics, but it really seems it. To my mind there is no way on God's earth the Tories are going to win this seat.

Words are cheap, though. Fancy a bet on the outcome? If so PM me.
(Original post by Dez)
The Brexit party is likely to clean up in the EU elections given the more democratic PR method that the EU uses, but in a FPTP election they don't even stand a chance. I'd say a Conservative victory is probably the most likely outcome at this point.
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)

Regardless of what you wanted to say, or thought you were saying - you actually said that her crime was a "minor indiscretion".

"given the relative crimes all these MPs commit i find it rather droll that this minor indiscretion has gotten everyone's panties in such a twist."

The fact that you were comparing her crime to the supposed crimes of others is irrelevant. All you can claim is that you consider the crimes of other MPs to be more serious. While this may or may not be the case it does not alter the fact that her actual crime cannot be called a "minor indiscretion".

Now, put your spade down and take this ladder.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If Fiona stands again, then all she is doing is really handing the seat to the conservatives.
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I don't think it is a tautology
It isn't.
generallee
Rep:
?
I wasn't throwing a strop, I was mentioning the high number of EU migrants within the city because it is politically germane in my view.

And then pointing that out when you went off on one about how racy racy racist I was being in stating political facts.
(Original post by Napp)
Uhuh to your first paragraph;
1he isn’t a labour MP anymore so I’m unsure why you keep saying she is?
2: you seem to be implying I’m somehow defending her? I’m curious why you’d think that? I have a long and colourful history of bashing all of the MPs, this one being no different.

To your second ‘point’
It appears I touched a nerve 😂😏
I wasn’t aware Europeans were a different race though? I mean your disgust for anyone isn’t white is well known here but we’re talking about Europeans - which the British are.
Uhuh why are my “feelings” on trial here? I was simply saying you have absolutely no basis for your risible little claims and thus to stop throwing a strop over anyone who doesn’t speak in an English accent.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
This election is likely to be a classic one issue protest vote. Conservative Brexiteers have no reason not to vote for the Brexit party at the moment, and neither do Labour Brexiteers. Labour will lose votes because of both the outgoing MP and because of Corbyn, and the Tories will lose votes because of May.

It could come down to a race between the pro-EU LibDems (remember them? They are led by the Night King) and the Farage party, just like the EU elections.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by QE2)
I reserve the right to steal that and use it myself.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by QE2)
Regardless of what you wanted to say, or thought you were saying - you actually said that her crime was a "minor indiscretion".

"given the relative crimes all these MPs commit i find it rather droll that this minor indiscretion has gotten everyone's panties in such a twist."

The fact that you were comparing her crime to the supposed crimes of others is irrelevant. All you can claim is that you consider the crimes of other MPs to be more serious. While this may or may not be the case it does not alter the fact that her actual crime cannot be called a "minor indiscretion".

Fine I will concede I could have been clearer in what I meant. However, o stand by the point that as far as crimes go this is still rather far down the list of egregious ones.
by no means is one defending her and it’s naturally rather fun seeing her career go up in flames for her idiotic little stunt
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (296)
30.93%
The paper was reasonable (386)
40.33%
Not feeling great about that exam... (155)
16.2%
It was TERRIBLE (120)
12.54%

Watched Threads