Peterborough by election - Brexit Party for the win? Watch

ThePootisPower
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by generallee)
He's as far left as you can go.

TSR posters who see Brexit in purely left/right terms are a continuing marvel...
I was referring to the far-right nature of Farage, and how toxicity is standard fare for him.

I can see why you thought I was referring to Galloway however, so let's agree that I didn't make myself clear and drop the argument, eh?
generallee
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Fair enough.
(Original post by ThePootisPower)
I was referring to the far-right nature of Farage, and how toxicity is standard fare for him.

I can see why you thought I was referring to Galloway however, so let's agree that I didn't make myself clear and drop the argument, eh?
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I was referring to the far-right nature of Farage
He is of the right, certainly, but your definition of 'far-right' would have to be very loose indeed to justify its use in relation to Farage. He left UKIP because its new leader appointed Tommy Robinson as an adviser.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
Surely Farage would not accept him. He is toxic.
He’s a EP candidate for them.
DSilva
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You do realise that solicitors can be "wrong uns," right?

I once took part in selecting a prospective Labour MP before I became a right wing nutjob. We interviewed all the candidates and it was rigorous.
Of course and the wrong uns are kicked off the roll. When she was selected as a candidate, she was on the roll. The fact she was accepted on to the roll by the regulatory body, who carried out it's own checks, does suggest there was nothing to indicate she would act as she did.

If someone has no convictions, no previous incidents of note and is part of a professional body who have already vetted her, what exactly would or should the party's vetting have uncovered?
Last edited by DSilva; 2 weeks ago
ThePootisPower
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by DSilva)
If someone has no convictions, no previous incidents of note and is part of a professional body who have already vetted her, what exactly would or should the party's vetting have uncovered?
Precisely.

The issue here isn't Labour, it's the moronic ex-MP.
DSilva
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Precisely.

The issue here isn't Labour, it's the moronic ex-MP.
Yes. Short of her saying 'yes I am likely to attempt to pervert the course of justice in the future' I'm not exactly sure what party vetting could possibly have revealed to indicate an event like this was likely. Especially given her seemingly ordinary and professional background.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
He’s a EP candidate for them.
Crikey!
DSilva
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Crikey!
Quite. I'm not sure too many would have thought it possible that there would be a party uniting Farage, Galloway and Anne Widdecombe.
generallee
Rep:
?
The Brexit Party has momentum. And I don't mean that in the Labour Party sense...

The latest You Gov poll has it hitting 30%, opening up a 9% lead over Labour in the EU elections.

UKIP won these elections in 2014 with just 26.6% of the vote on a much lower turnout than expected this time.

People really don't like having their democratic votes ignored, it seems. Who saw that coming?
generallee
Rep:
?
The first EU Referendum united Enoch Powell, Michael Foot and Tony Benn.

Farage is a player of course (and a Powellite), but it is hard to compare the other two with any of these real political heavyweights, mind. I suppose Galloway would have been a Benn supporter at the time. Too young to vote?

(Btw the Europhilia of Benn's son is something to behold. He must be turning in his grave... )

Quite. I'm not sure too many would have thought it possible that there would be a party uniting Farage, Galloway and Anne Widdecombe.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Too young to vote?
Galloway is in his mid-60s and was politically active in Scottish local government (but not nationally known) in 1975, marginally to the left of Karl Marx, of course, just like Corbyn.
generallee
Rep:
?
Claire Fox, former luminary of the Revolutionary Communist Party is another one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ4blRfxPyE
Galloway is in his mid-60s and was politically active in Scottish local government (but not nationally known) in 1975, marginally to the left of Karl Marx, of course, just like Corbyn.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The Brexit Party has momentum. And I don't mean that in the Labour Party sense...

The latest You Gov poll has it hitting 30%, opening up a 9% lead over Labour in the EU elections.

UKIP won these elections in 2014 with just 26.6% of the vote on a much lower turnout than expected this time.

People really don't like having their democratic votes ignored, it seems. Who saw that coming?
Predictions of low turnout were pre-brexit party whereas now all the miffed Tories like myself an outlet.

I actually suspect that turnout will be up this time. All the more embassing if we give the remain parties a thumping.
DSilva
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The first EU Referendum united Enoch Powell, Michael Foot and Tony Benn.

Farage is a player of course (and a Powellite), but it is hard to compare the other two with any of these real political heavyweights, mind. I suppose Galloway would have been a Benn supporter at the time. Too young to vote?

(Btw the Europhilia of Benn's son is something to behold. He must be turning in his grave... )
Whatever one thinks of Galloway and his policies, he is one of the more interesting and charismatic politicians out there.

Interestingly, he and Peter Hitchens often agree on issues despite being at the tiger ends of the polticial spectrum.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Waifs and strays, happy to proselytise.
generallee
Rep:
?
I like Galloway. He is very very bright, you only have to have seen his testimony to the US Congress to realise that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4LDQixpCa8

Watch for a couple of minutes at around the seven minute mark if you haven't seen this. Coruscating. He rips them a new one.

Sure he has some bat$hit crazy ideas, but he dares to think and speak outside the consensus. Therefore, of course, he gets trashed by the mainstream media and the commentariat...

Whatever one thinks of Galloway and his policies, he is one of the more interesting and charismatic politicians out there.

Interestingly, he and Peter Hitchens often agree on issues despite being at the tiger ends of the polticial spectrum.
the beer
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Claire Fox, former luminary of the Revolutionary Communist Party is another one...
Aren't they all libertarians now?
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think it depends on when the election is held, and who the candidate is, and assumes we have not left the EU by then. I think given first past the post and the split votes, it is possible.
generallee
Rep:
?
I think we will.

But then we all know the Remainers by now. However big the thumping, it will then be ignored. Democratic elections only count if they go their way.

Yet they somehow convince themselves they are the good guys, rather than the villains of the piece.

(Original post by Rakas21)
Predictions of low turnout were pre-brexit party whereas now all the miffed Tories like myself an outlet.

I actually suspect that turnout will be up this time. All the more embassing if we give the remain parties a thumping.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (130)
22.69%
The paper was reasonable (253)
44.15%
Not feeling great about that exam... (102)
17.8%
It was TERRIBLE (88)
15.36%

Watched Threads