The Student Room Group

Pocket money

How much should a 17/18 year old upper sixth school boy get a week?
And what do you normally spend on?
Original post by Thelawguy

Well I think that largely depends on how much your parents are willing to give you. I would usually spend mine on clothes or save up for something I really wanted
How much do you get right now?
£20 to buy lunch down at the co-op every week
get get about 30-35 pounds a week
Reply 5
I don’t have a weekly allowance right now but I want to get into the habit of saving money and being semi-independent financially.

At your age, I would expect the income from a part-time job to be the majority of the money you get, with maybe some contributions from your parents, depending on what you want to use the money for. It really depends on how much your parents are happy to give you.

I usually spent my pocket money on clothes, books etc. I didn't have expensive tastes, so didn't need much money as a result.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
At your age, I would expect the income from a part-time job to be the majority of the money you get, with maybe some contributions from your parents, depending on what you want to use the money for. It really depends on how much your parents are happy to give you.

I usually spent my pocket money on clothes, books etc. I didn't have expensive tastes, so didn't need much money as a result.

I agree.
A lot of people have a part time job.

I got £1 a week pocket money from my parents until I was 18, but they would buy any necessary clothes (eg they bought clothes if I needed them, I bought them if I wanted them) and I did manage to get a part time job which came to £100 a month by sixth form.

I generally put mine into savings. Or spent it on stuff for the hamsters!
Reply 9
Original post by Snoozinghamster
I got £1 a week pocket money from my parents until I was 18, but they would buy any necessary clothes (eg they bought clothes if I needed them, I bought them if I wanted them) and I did manage to get a part time job which came to £100 a month by sixth form.

I generally put mine into savings. Or spent it on stuff for the hamsters!

What was your part time job? And what are the pros and cons of a part time job I have never really done part time job other than work experience...
What was your part time job? And what are the pros and cons of a part time job I have never really done part time job other than work experience...

I did private maths tutoring for a small (as in to start I was the only employee) company. Pros were obviously having money! Also was quite useful as it made me keep very strong on the easier maths which was useful when doing a level maths and further maths. Also meant I actually had some form of work experience to show I’m responsible etc.

I ended up deciding to only work one night a week which whilst it meant I got less money meant I still had enough time. I started inyear 12 doing 2 nights but I was busy every night of the week and was beginning to burn out. So the cons are definitely worth considering as not all jobs can be as low on hours as tutoring whilst still paying well. I was on £10 an hour (raised to 15) so it was good money for minimal time and the work was interesting. But I was very lucky as I was able to partially come up with times etc as I was his first employee.

There was also good opportunities for the occasional bit of really nicely paying summer work which was very helpful. (Creating example answers for chemistry etc) but it was kinda irregular at points when we ended up with more employees than shifts! (That’s what happens when you end up getting half your friends jobs at the same company!)
None you should get a job lmao
Wait you guys get paid?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending