How bad is climate change and global warming? Watch

Jaspz2468
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi everyone,
Recently, I’ve been posting a lot about some of the environmental issues like climate change, pollution, palm oil etc... I have to say though, I don’t want to be spreading false information to my peers when I see these posts like ‘if we don’t do something now, it will be irreversible in 12 years time!’ I don’t know whether to believe this or not because it seems more like something to scare people into to doing something rather than actually having facts. So what is the fuller situation, how bad is the environment and furthermore, are there any daily things we can do to help - even a little bit. I have seen pictures however, and these look really horrific, like of little all along beaches and ‘before and now’ pictures, which look quite realistic but there are other factors that go in. Really, I just want to know what’s something that we can actually do to help. Because is it as little as putting rubbish in the bin or is there nothing we can do and is it all now down to the government. Thanks for reading all of this and any advice below would be appreciated tremendously!
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Frankly, the situation is bleak. There is uncertainty surrounding the long-term effects of climate change, but they range from really bad to just spectacularly awful. When the climate of an area changes, the life, natural or human, that lives there is forced to adapt. So much of the world's area is going to change so quickly and dramatically that the infrastructure and ecosystems that rest on it will not be able to adapt fast enough. It's not just polar bears losing their habitats - imagine vast tracts of cropland that communities and nations rely on to eat, becoming near-deserts or being put two feet deep in salt water, in a matter of decades.

There is uncertainty as to what we should do to avert this, because it is a global problem, and because it will happen to some degree, and is already happening, regardless of what we begin doing now. We as consumers can do things to help alleviate climate change, such as minimising our power usage and consumption of products. But on a larger scale, our whole society's way of doing things needs to be turned upside down. This system where we expend energy and resources to produce valuable objects and then consign them to garbage heaps within years or months, simply is no longer viable. These systems by which we burn fossil fuels to move people around individually, and to supply power to homes that waste most of it, and to drive industries that create no real value, are no longer viable.

In truth, these systems were never viable. They were always going to lead to this kind of crisis, sooner or later. The movement against climate change aims to make governments and industries acknowledge these truths as soon as possible, and avert as much damage as possible.
Last edited by anosmianAcrimony; 9 months ago
Leviathan1611
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
don't know, and don't really care.
however, i do think we need to clean up the oceans and find a way to dispose of waste that doesn't affect animals and their habitat in an extreme way.
but in regards to the earth warming up and sea caps melting etc. i don't care. maybe a bit for the polar bears.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (315)
65.9%
No (163)
34.1%

Watched Threads