Scrape a pass on exams and try and boost my dissertation? ADVICE PLS

Watch this thread
idekbruhbruh
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Basically I am 3rd year Psychology student and I need over half my modules on a 2.1 this year to graduate with a 2.1 overall.. (Completed 60 credits worth/3 modules so far and have a first in two of them but a 2.2 in the other)

I had some issues with my dissertation and only just got feedback on my first draft yesterday, the deadline is in 13 days - this is worth 40 credits out of the 120 possible credits this year

I also have 2 seen examinations in two weeks which I have done no work for, the questions get released 5 days before but I still am seriously under prepared & don't think I'll do very well

So should I put all my focus into my dissertation and try and guarantee a 2.1 and then just try and scrape a pass in my exams?? I'm really stressed and would appreciate some advice
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by idekbruhbruh)
Basically I am 3rd year Psychology student and I need over half my modules on a 2.1 this year to graduate with a 2.1 overall.. (Completed 60 credits worth/3 modules so far and have a first in two of them but a 2.2 in the other)

I had some issues with my dissertation and only just got feedback on my first draft yesterday, the deadline is in 13 days - this is worth 40 credits out of the 120 possible credits this year

I also have 2 seen examinations in two weeks which I have done no work for, the questions get released 5 days before but I still am seriously under prepared & don't think I'll do very well

So should I put all my focus into my dissertation and try and guarantee a 2.1 and then just try and scrape a pass in my exams?? I'm really stressed and would appreciate some advice
do you think with the feedback you could get a 1st in the dissertation?
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago

Hello!

I would recommend speaking to your personal tutor or your student well-being team about this. Either will have good suggestions about what to prioritise and focus on leading up to your exams/dissertation deadline.

Outside of asking either your tutor or the student well-being team my own advice would be to prioritise working on your dissertation for now whilst taking some time to look over topics which you find difficult for your exams. By doing this you will at least have a finalised dissertation and can plan more strategically for the questions when they are released.

I'm sure you are aware it is not going to be a fix either way but hopefully this helps you prepare for the deadlines ahead; if nothing else then just make sure to organise your time / create a schedule for your work.

I hope this helps!

Patrick :lep:
Anonymous #1
Report 3 years ago
Perhaps... I’m not too sure because my supervisor seems very strict, but he said that I’m asking interesting questions, have relevant literature and good ideas but I need to radically reduce the amount of writing I’ve done and restructure my analysis.

At times I think the project is ok but I’ve gotten to the stage where I hate looking at the project. I feel like I have a bit of imposter syndrome at times though cos generally when I feel good about coursework I do well. For this I could do well enough I think...

(Original post by claireestelle)
idekbruhbruh
Rep:
Perhaps... I’m not too sure because my supervisor is the module leader and seems very strict, but he said that I’m asking interesting questions, have relevant literature and good ideas but I need to radically reduce the amount of writing I’ve done and restructure my analysis/discussion.

At times I think the project is ok but I’ve gotten to the stage where I hate looking at the project. I feel like I have a bit of imposter syndrome at times though cos generally when I feel good about coursework I do well. For this I could do well enough I think... but like I said I’m really not sure as this is the first dissertation I’ve done 😩

Last edited by idekbruhbruh; 3 years ago
idekbruhbruh
Rep:
Hey Patrick, I appreciate the response

Unfortunately I can’t contact my superivisor anymore as he is away until the deadline.

I agree with you and I think I should make my main focus my dissertation whilst still doing a bit of revision everyday until the questions get released.. that way I won’t be completely clueless about the kind of topics that may be asked. It’s just a lot of content, which you need to build a of portfolio of extra studies from independent research which is the issue :’(
(Original post by Liverpool Hope University)
Hello!

I would recommend speaking to your personal tutor or your student well-being team about this. Either will have good suggestions about what to prioritise and focus on leading up to your exams/dissertation deadline.

Outside of asking either your tutor or the student well-being team my own advice would be to prioritise working on your dissertation for now whilst taking some time to look over topics which you find difficult for your exams. By doing this you will at least have a finalised dissertation and can plan more strategically for the questions when they are released.

I'm sure you are aware it is not going to be a fix either way but hopefully this helps you prepare for the deadlines ahead; if nothing else then just make sure to organise your time / create a schedule for your work.

I hope this helps!

Patrick :lep:
Last edited by idekbruhbruh; 3 years ago
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Perhaps... I’m not too sure because my supervisor is the module leader and seems very strict, but he said that I’m asking interesting questions, have relevant literature and good ideas but I need to radically reduce the amount of writing I’ve done and restructure my analysis/discussion.

At times I think the project is ok but I’ve gotten to the stage where I hate looking at the project. I feel like I have a bit of imposter syndrome at times though cos generally when I feel good about coursework I do well. For this I could do well enough I think... but like I said I’m really not sure as this is the first dissertation I’ve done 😩
cutting work down isn't too tricky it's the restructuring that might be. you say you'll have five days before the exam, that's still a decent amount of time to plan answers to questions.
idekbruhbruh
Rep:
Yeah you're right about the exams, I have enough time to pass. I'm just banking on the dissertation to get a 2.1 which is nerve wracking as hell.
cutting work down isn't too tricky it's the restructuring that might be. you say you'll have five days before the exam, that's still a decent amount of time to plan answers to questions.
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hi idekbruhbruh,

There will be many people in the same situation as you coming up to dissertation deadlines and the exam period.

If you are unable to contact your supervisor, see if there is anyone else within your department who will be able to give you some advice.

Just make sure you are chipping away at both your dissertation and exam preparation - both are important towards your final grade.

If you have any questions you can always PM us.

Good luck!

Amy
Hey Patrick, I appreciate the response

Unfortunately I can’t contact my superivisor anymore as he is away until the deadline.

I agree with you and I think I should make my main focus my dissertation whilst still doing a bit of revision everyday until the questions get released.. that way I won’t be completely clueless about the kind of topics that may be asked. It’s just a lot of content, which you need to build a of portfolio of extra studies from independent research which is the issue :’(
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How was the OCR A-level Geography Paper 1 exam for you?

Great! (10)
15.38%
Quite well (30)
46.15%
Not so good (16)
24.62%
Terrible! (9)
13.85%

Watched Threads