Edinburgh MP prints out meme to discuss in Parliament Watch

AngeryPenguin
Badges: 17
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
https://i.imgur.com/WOOAt8d.jpg

It was during a session where MPs grilled Facebook and Twitter executives about online abuse.

27[/s]30&out=15:50:30]Video

She took issue with Twitter's Hate Conduct Policy listing "gender" as a protected characteristic, instead of "sex".

From her Twitter account, it seems the meme is a picture of a girl holding a pistol at the viewer, captioned "Shut the f*** up, TERF".

TERF stands for Trans Exclusionary Radical Feminist. They feel that trans women aren't true women, and should should be treated as men, and excluded from LGB(T) communities.

"Knowing that some people on one side of the debate are called TERFs, and that they tend to be women, do you not agree with me that that tweet was offensive on the grounds of sex, or perhaps even gender?"

https://twitter.com/joannaccherry/st...56693357981699

I don't understand her argument. Even if female MPs are the most abused MPs on social media - which doesn't appear to be the case - how is that due to social media sites not being trans-exclusionary? A policy protecting people who identify as female protects all her TERF friends just as much as a policy protecting people born female would.
Last edited by AngeryPenguin; 2 weeks ago
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
What a strange timeline we live in.
username4454836
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
She has a point that threatening tweets have no place on twitter. However her argument that twitter's policy is not separating gender and sex is crap.
Andrew97
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think the face of the woman next to her perfectly sums up most people’s opinions on this.
AngeryPenguin
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Decahedron)
She has a point that threatening tweets have no place on twitter. However her argument that twitter's policy is not separating gender and sex is crap.
It's a fairly obvious joke meme, not a serious death threat.

She had the opportunity to submit some actual abuse from Twitter, and decided instead to find some anti-TERF memes in order to push for protecting sex instead of gender.
username4454836
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)
It's a fairly obvious joke meme, not a serious death threat.

She had the opportunity to submit some actual abuse from Twitter, and decided instead to find some anti-TERF memes in order to push for protecting sex instead of gender.
Whether it is a joke or not it has no place on twitter.

She is a ****wit, that I do not contest.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It's all a bit rich from an MP who went onto the internet to try to smear a nurse who dared speak out against the her party on Question Time. While it would be nice to have rather more pleasant debate online, you can't police every single anonymous troll out there. It has to become unacceptable, and that has to happen from the top of politics downwards.
AngeryPenguin
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by L i b)
It's all a bit rich from an MP who went onto the internet to try to smear a nurse who dared speak out against the her party on Question Time. While it would be nice to have rather more pleasant debate online, you can't police every single anonymous troll out there. It has to become unacceptable, and that has to happen from the top of politics downwards.
The SNP aren't really the most rational of parties, tbf.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (4)
36.36%
The paper was reasonable (2)
18.18%
Not feeling great about that exam... (1)
9.09%
It was TERRIBLE (4)
36.36%

Watched Threads