Staffordshire University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Find out how athletes control, manage and use stress to their advantage with our masterclass webinar on sport psychology.

The pressure of performance can define the outcome of sports competitions on a local, national and world stage. It doesn’t just affect professional athletes either, it’s commonplace for any high pressure environment to cause heart-pumping stress. But are we stressing too much about stress? Should we challenge it? Can we turn it on its head and use it to improve performance and fulfil potential?

Join us online at 2pm on 22 May where expert researcher and lecturer in sports psychology, Dr Andrew Wood, hosts a webinar masterclass to explain the psychology of stress. Find out how athletes, control, manage and use stress to their advantage to help improve performance and become the masters of their own minds.

alexenderthomas
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Stress is key for survival, but too much stress can be detrimental. Emotional stress that stays around for weeks or months can weaken the immune system and cause high blood pressure, fatigue, depression, anxiety and even heart disease. In particular, too much epinephrine can be harmful to your heart.
Hoverboards
willsmith22
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Feeling stressed can feel perfectly normal, especially during exam time. You might notice that sometimes being stressed-out motivates you to focus on your work, yet at other times, you feel incredibly overwhelmed and can’t concentrate on anything. While stress affects everyone in different ways,
swelshie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I find it difficult to relate to current news stories about exam stress in gcse age pupils as throughout most of my time at school and university it was just something I had to experience and deal with. Nobody really talked about it. I'm not sure I really knew how high my stress levels were I just knew I got through it in the past and used it to do well.

I've found it is similar experience to working well under pressure in a workplace- when things go sideways in production line type work this can stress people out to the point that their brain ceases to function properly. Only by experiencing that stress, acknowledging that it does nobody any good to panic, do you perform well. Once you realise it's not the end of the world if the production line has to stop /that you are able to recoup from mishaps in time and keep the line going you get good performance. Subtly different to not being invested in the job in the first place, they presumably don't feel that same stress/urgency but are usually the ones with measurably poorer performance.

So imo you have to feel stressed to perform well but be able to harness it properly.
Avogadrocado
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
fight or flight baby
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (190)
15.54%
Uncertainty around my education (199)
16.27%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (120)
9.81%
Isolating with family (85)
6.95%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (47)
3.84%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (106)
8.67%
Loneliness (118)
9.65%
Financial worries (52)
4.25%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (110)
8.99%
Exposure to negative news/social media (89)
7.28%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (107)
8.75%

Watched Threads