The Student Room Group

Controls ? -Investigations A2 biology

If I was measuring the effect of temperature on Membrane permeability of beetroot , what would the best range of temperatures be? and what is a possible control ? I'd say no beetroot but I honestly don't know .
Best temp range should include physiological temperatures + temperatures that will denature cell membrane proteins/kill cells, so maybe 10 C to 70 C.

If you are using mashed, homogenised beetroot, control can be a normal isotonic saline solution OR Ringer's solution.

M
Reply 2
Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon
Best temp range should include physiological temperatures + temperatures that will denature cell membrane proteins/kill cells, so maybe 10 C to 70 C.

If you are using mashed, homogenised beetroot, control can be a normal isotonic saline solution OR Ringer's solution.

M

Thank you!
Why is it that at very high temperatures, the colour isn't as red as you'd expect and the measured absorbance isn't as much ? I looked at the results of an invistigation on this and at 600c ( idk how they got to this temp ) the transmittance was more than when the temp was 50c

Why is that ? In simple terms please ?

Ps, I'm in A level so I don't know what homogenised or isotonic or ringers thing is :colondollar:
First of all, thanks for the rep - I did not fully deserve it cos I forgot that you are a baby :colondollar:- sorrrrrry! (I keep some tissues in my rucksack if you are stuck!).

Homogenised just means that the tissues in the beetroot are mixed up at a high force to make "like a soup". Isotonic (Greek iso = same; tono = pressure [e.g. isosceles triangle = with two sides same length] SO isotonic solution is one at same osmotic pressure) so cells do not burst by taking in too much water by osmosis, or shrivel by losing too much water (generally in biomedical research) (Ignore Ringer's solution).

I have never come across any biological experiment using a temp of 600 C - the whole beetroot would burn and join the ozone layer lol - even some metals would melt at this kind of temp.

However, as you ask, I would guess that at a realistic temp of about 200 C, the pigment in beetroot [which makes it red] would be decomposed so nothing would be left to absorb light at the relevant wavelength (wavelength of light determines its colour) therefore transmittance would increase).

Does that maker sense? If not, pls don't hesitate to ask again! Also, I keep Ribena, Coke, Oasis, etc in my rucksack in case you lose too much fluid from your eyes :smile:.

M
Reply 4
Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon
First of all, thanks for the rep - I did not fully deserve it cos I forgot that you are a baby :colondollar:- sorrrrrry! (I keep some tissues in my rucksack if you are stuck!).

Homogenised just means that the tissues in the beetroot are mixed up at a high force to make "like a soup". Isotonic (Greek iso = same; tono = pressure [e.g. isosceles triangle = with two sides same length] SO isotonic solution is one at same osmotic pressure) so cells do not burst by taking in too much water by osmosis, or shrivel by losing too much water (generally in biomedical research) (Ignore Ringer's solution).

I have never come across any biological experiment using a temp of 600 C - the whole beetroot would burn and join the ozone layer lol - even some metals would melt at this kind of temp.

However, as you ask, I would guess that at a realistic temp of about 200 C, the pigment in beetroot [which makes it red] would be decomposed so nothing would be left to absorb light at the relevant wavelength (wavelength of light determines its colour) therefore transmittance would increase).

Does that maker sense? If not, pls don't hesitate to ask again! Also, I keep Ribena, Coke, Oasis, etc in my rucksack in case you lose too much fluid from your eyes :smile:.

M

AHAHAHA a lot of sense - thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending