The Student Room Group

social anxiety

is it a good idea to take medicine one month before a levels, does it really help ? will i feel more relaxed the day i pass my oral exams ?
It really depends on what medicine as there are many for anxiety. Have you spoken to your dr? They will be able to best advise you :smile:
Reply 2
I didn't. I don't like my dr. He's a bit *****y actually... Maybe I'll ask advice to the pharmacy idk.
Original post by woof1012
It really depends on what medicine as there are many for anxiety. Have you spoken to your dr? They will be able to best advise you :smile:
I can only share my personal experience so please take this all with a fairly generous pinch of salt. I'm UK based so again quite specific to there :smile: But there are anti-anxiety medications that are considered quite "gentle" if that makes sense? Propranolol is one of the most commonly prescribed anti-anxiety medications and it exclusively deals with physical symptoms of anxiety (increased heart rate) rather than affecting you mentally like some other medications which are usually not recommended by Drs unless for quite specific/serious/short term scenarios.

If you wanted to look at going down an alternative route I really recommend mindfulness and meditation. I've been medicated for anxiety on/off throughout my school and professional career and I found mindfulness/meditation to be the best thing for me. Try the Headspace app, it was so so useful for me in managing my anxiety! Different things work for different people so I'd try and speak with your Dr if you can.
Original post by Anonymous
I didn't. I don't like my dr. He's a bit *****y actually... Maybe I'll ask advice to the pharmacy idk.
Reply 4
Thank you. I'll try different ways. I don't really know what works for me. But I'll try. I don't actually want to take medicine. I want to do it naturally by myself. I just need to be brave and strong as always.
Original post by woof1012
I can only share my personal experience so please take this all with a fairly generous pinch of salt. I'm UK based so again quite specific to there :smile: But there are anti-anxiety medications that are considered quite "gentle" if that makes sense? Propranolol is one of the most commonly prescribed anti-anxiety medications and it exclusively deals with physical symptoms of anxiety (increased heart rate) rather than affecting you mentally like some other medications which are usually not recommended by Drs unless for quite specific/serious/short term scenarios.

If you wanted to look at going down an alternative route I really recommend mindfulness and meditation. I've been medicated for anxiety on/off throughout my school and professional career and I found mindfulness/meditation to be the best thing for me. Try the Headspace app, it was so so useful for me in managing my anxiety! Different things work for different people so I'd try and speak with your Dr if you can.

Quick Reply

Latest