The Student Room Group

Chemical engineering advice

Im in year 12 and i just wanna know more about what to expect thanks
I suggest you read stuff like this

https://www.strath.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/chemicalengineeringbeng/

(disclaimer: I have a friend who got a doctorate from Strathclyde in Chem eng, who is now an expert on nano-materials)
You will also need another A in one or two other relevant subjects including Physics, Biology, Economics or Further Maths. University of Oxford Department of Engineering Science four year MEng course. ... You must have Hoverboards Black Friday Sale A Level and at least one of Chemistry or Physics.
Hey, I'm a third year chemical engineering student at the University of Birmingham, the course combines a huge range of different subjects. For instance during my degree I've had modules on everything from renewable energy, to fluid flow, to project management.
The degree involves a lot of maths but I personally find it all pretty rewarding. I've found the course has a really good culture, every year all the chemical engineering universities meet to have a big sports day which is always a good laugh, and BUCES the Birmingham chem eng society hosts lots of great bar crawls and even a holiday at the end of the year.
The career prospects are also good and diverse, for instance I've secured a one year placement working in the research and development department of a large coffee company, but I have friends working next year at BMW Exxon and large pharmaceutical companies.

If you have any more questions feel free to pm me!
Reply 4
Thanks so much , that was so helpful!! We’ll be in touch!
Reply 5
How do i pm you?
If you hover over my profile badge you should be able to send a message, or feel free to just ask here!
Reply 7
Oh okay would i need any work experience or extra reading to prepare myself for my application. I know that extra reading is important so do you recommend any articles or books that will give me a further insight of the world of chemEng
Work experience is never a bad thing, but is definitely not required. I personally wouldn't bother with any extra reading, other than to familiarise yourself with what chemical engineering is and why you'd like to do it.

For insight into Chemical engineering, I'd just do a bit of googling around the things involved with the course and a career in chem eng, the best thing i can recommend is to go to some open days at different unis to find out more!

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/chemical-engineering/chemical-engineering-beng.aspx

Original post by darsi_3
Oh okay would i need any work experience or extra reading to prepare myself for my application. I know that extra reading is important so do you recommend any articles or books that will give me a further insight of the world of chemEng
Reply 9
Oh thanks i heard there isn’t even interviews for most universities and the grades is what really matters?
I know UOB does not interview for Chemical Engineering, and yes the grades are likely the most important part, but your personal statement is definitely important as well!

Original post by darsi_3
Oh thanks i heard there isn’t even interviews for most universities and the grades is what really matters?

Quick Reply

Latest