Report 2 weeks ago
It's early but it doesn't look like a bad night for the Tories
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Labour have lost Hartlepool.

Labour are also expected to lose Wirral.

Swindon on a knife edge for the Tories.

Telford and Dudley have 1 seat majorities, councils to watch.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Tories have held Swindon but lost control of Basildon.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Tories have lost somewhere called Tandridge.

Labour have indeed lost Wirral.
revolver777
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Several pundits seem to think Brexit is playing a big part in these local elections, but I disagree. Of course that and party leaders' actions will influence a good number of voters, but we have another upcoming election for people just to make their vote all about Brexit. I'm sure the majority will be thinking about local issues on this occasion, and the Lib Dems surge is no surprise as, no matter how much I strongly disagree with them on Brexit, there's no denying they know how to run a council.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by StrawberryDreams)

Are you registered to vote in the Local Government Elections? If so - voting is today!

Here's some info for you on what's happening and when you can vote

Elections are being held for 248 English councils, six mayors and all 11 councils in Northern Ireland. This is your chance to have your say on what's happening in your local area!

Councillors have an important say in decisions that affect your day to day life. This includes things like how services such as schools, community centers, parks and rubbish collection are run.

The political party with the highest number of Councillors elected usually gets to control the council.

Firstly, can I vote?

If you are over 18, registered to vote and you are either a British citizen, qualifying Commonwealth citizen or an EU resident in the UK, you can vote.

What time can I vote?

Polls open at 7am and close at 10pm. Check on your polling card to see where your nearest polling station is, or use this website.

How many councils are taking part?

This is the biggest set of local elections in England's four-year electoral cycle, with more than 8,400 seats being contested. A further 462 seats are up for grabs in Northern Ireland.

When will we find out the results?

Votes will be counted overnight, with many votes expected in the early hours of the morning - the earliest could be midnight.
No there is no election in my council
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Oh dear. Tories took Walsall council (a seat they took in 2017).

Tories lost Saint Albans.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Tories lost Southend on Sea.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Tories lost Peterborough which is interesting.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Tories lost Worcester.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Tories took North east Lincolnshire.

Lost 9 seats in Trafford though.
Trotsky's Iceaxe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I’d say I didn’t vote because there was no council elections in my area.

Although that same reason did not prevent Boris Johnson from voting.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...elections.html

To think some people believe he would make a good Conservative leader.
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Neilos)
Voted for one Independent guy, who I liked.

Gave the other votes to two Conservatives because they were the only ones who'd made any kind of effort to engage with people, or do any campaigning. Didn't even know there were Labour or Lib Dem candidates until I was given the ballot paper...
Lol - you can pretty much count on the tories to play to win.

Seemed like an odd one - the voter turnout at my station actually wasn't that bad but the parties apart from the tories seem to have struggled to find candidates and to get any activists organised to door knock or even just put up a poster in their garden.
DSilva
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Bad for Labour, poor (but expected) for Tories. Good night for Lib Dems.

Interestingly, John Curtice says its more likely the Lib Dem recovery is down to establishing themselves again as a protest party, rather than for being anti Brexit.

There is really no position on Brexit that Labour can take which won't see it hameorrage votes in one direction. It has among its traditional voters both the most ardent leavers and most ardent remainers and they are largely unwilling to compromise. Trying to go down the middle, which Corbyn has basically done, doesn't seem to be working either.

Corbyn really doesn't want to be endlessly talking about Brexit though. He wants to be talking about the NHS, schools, social care, the welfare state, childcare etc but Brexit is just sucking the life out of everything else.
Last edited by DSilva; 2 weeks ago
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by DSilva)

Interestingly, John Curtice says its more likely the Lib Dem recovery is down to establishing themselves again as a protest party, rather than for being anti Brexit.

There is really no position on Brexit that Labour can take which won't see it hameorrage votes in one direction. It has among its traditional voters both the most ardent leavers and most ardent remainers and they are largely unwilling to compromise. Trying to go down the middle, which Corbyn has basically done, doesn't seem to be working either.

Corbyn really doesn't want to be endlessly talking about Brexit though. He wants to be talking about the NHS, schools, social care, the welfare state, childcare etc but Brexit is just sucking the life out of everything else.
Lib Dem’s have done better than I forecast, their seat count is 150% up with a good 2000 more wards to count.

I suspect this might increase the chance of the May-Corbyn deal. I thought that Lab would do fairly well and simply bank the Tories pain but with a very poor result thus far themselves, the chances of them being more open to actually getting a deal done probably increase.
rimstone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by DSilva)

How is this bad for labour? the tories are literally melting in front of us to the Lib dems and Indies. I think at the end of this labour will have around the same number of seats ( pretty much its city strong holds and northern towns ) , but even then, lib dems taking control isnt that bad ( even though they already betrayed the students and i dont trust them to do anything; useless party; theyre aint gonna do nothing for brexit, they're just a bunch of talkers; whos days have passed ) and i dont mind indie people taking over, i think indie co-ops control over local government isnt bad.

Labout could have done better for sure, but i wanna see how everyone spins it as a massive lose for them and JC, when the tories have been handed a big L, compared to labour.

Also pretty glad i registered amd voted yesterday, the ward im in at UNI, labor won by 14 votes agaisnt the Lib dems. like to think 14 student got em in. ( why students still vote for Lib dems; i dont know; do they need to increase the 3x/x9 tuition fees again for everyone to remember how much of a traitor they are to the students ? )
Last edited by rimstone; 2 weeks ago
revolver777
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Lib Dem’s have done better than I forecast, their seat count is 150% up with a good 2000 more wards to count.

I suspect this might increase the chance of the May-Corbyn deal. I thought that Lab would do fairly well and simply bank the Tories pain but with a very poor result thus far themselves, the chances of them being more open to actually getting a deal done probably increase.
I can't deny Brexit has played a part with these results, but it's important to note that the Lib Dems had over 1,000 councillors before 2015. And at those 2015 locals they won 658 seats, 450 more than UKIP when they were at their all time peak with Farage as leader.

The Lib Dems have always been considered strong players at locals because of how well they run councils, but went through a bit of a rocky patch after the Coalition fiasco.
DSilva
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Rakas21)

Be interesting to see if a lib Dem revival would be worse for Labour or Tories. You'd assume the former, as they target sort of similar demographics, but then again most of the Lib Dem Parliamentary targets and seats they lost in 2015 are in Tory areas.
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Welp :indiff:

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (138)
22.89%
The paper was reasonable (264)
43.78%
Not feeling great about that exam... (110)
18.24%
It was TERRIBLE (91)
15.09%

Watched Threads