Local Government Elections - 2nd May: Are you voting? Watch

username3973192
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
3) they are the only ones who tired to get my vote (door knocking)
Lol they desperate, have the results for your area come in?
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by rimstone)
How is this bad for labour? the tories are literally melting in front of us to the Lib dems and Indies. I think at the end of this labour will have around the same number of seats ( pretty much its city strong holds and northern towns ) , but even then, lib dems taking control isnt that bad ( even though they already betrayed the students and i dont trust them to do anything; useless party; theyre aint gonna do nothing for brexit, they're just a bunch of talkers; whos days have passed ) and i dont mind indie people taking over, i think indie co-ops control over local government isnt bad.

Labout could have done better for sure, but i wanna see how everyone spins it as a massive lose for them and JC, when the tories have been handed a big L, compared to labour.

Also pretty glad i registered amd voted yesterday, the ward im in at UNI, labor won by 14 votes agaisnt the Lib dems. like to think 14 student got em in. ( why students still vote for Lib dems; i dont know; do they need to increase the 3x/x9 tuition fees again for everyone to remember how much of a traitor they are to the students ? )
I’m afraid that demonstrates a slight bias for Labour or lack of statistical awareness.

There is not a single example of an opposition losing net council seats the year before an election and winning.
There is not a single example of an opposition not holding the most councillors across England before winning an election.

Simply standing still is not good enough for Labour. Right now statistics strongly suggest they’d lose an election within the next year.

Even Miliband in 2011 and 2012 was piling up councillors.
(Original post by DSilva)
Be interesting to see if a lib Dem revival would be worse for Labour or Tories. You'd assume the former, as they target sort of similar demographics, but then again most of the Lib Dem Parliamentary targets and seats they lost in 2015 are in Tory areas.
It looks like most are in their old areas rather than new so it’s a case of folk in the south deciding they want the liberals back as the opposition over labour rather than a new liberal swathe across the country.
DSilva
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
I’m afraid that demonstrates a slight bias for Labour or lack of statistical awareness.

There is not a single example of an opposition losing net council seats the year before an election and winning.
There is not a single example of an opposition not holding the most councillors across England before winning an election.

Simply standing still is not good enough for Labour. Right now statistics strongly suggest they’d lose an election within the next year.

It looks like most are in their old areas rather than new so it’s a case of folk in the south deciding they want the liberals back as the opposition over labour rather than a new liberal swathe across the country.
I agree the results are poor for Labour but I don't accept that council results are absolutely indicative of what will happen in a general election. As the last election showed, you can pile up support in a matter of weeks during a general election.

Miliband did far better than Corbyn in the local elections but much worse in the general election.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I agree the results are poor for Labour but I don't accept that council results are absolutely indicative of what will happen in a general election. As the last election showed, you can pile up support in a matter of weeks during a general election.

Miliband did far better than Corbyn in the local elections but much worse in the general election.
Normally I might agree but there are dozens of elections to build a case and they all say one thing.That normally means there’s a reason and few people think Corbyn can repeat a surge now that he is a known quantity.
DSilva
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Normally I might agree but there are dozens of elections to build a case and they all say one thing.That normally means there’s a reason and few people think Corbyn can repeat a surge now that he is a known quantity.
Perhaps. But politics is unpredictable. I do think though if we ever get beyond Brexit it will favour Corbyn. In fact the main reason he surprised people last time was that the debates and manifestos largely ignored Brexit and focused on NHS/schools/social care etc. Topics on which Corbyn's genuine passion shines through.

If the Tories continue to implode then Labour might be able to cobble a government together with SNP/Lib Dems.

Though I accept a Labour majority under Corbyn is unlikely.
rimstone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

tbf I think you have to factor in Brexit, and at this point of Uk politics It pretty weird ( as we can see with the Lib dem resurge and indie co-ops ) I was just unsure what would happen. But it seems labours kept its cities and northern town strongholds and got a little here and there. The day has yet to end and ill be interested in the full results but im glad they didnt tank, they wouldnt have been good at all for labour. At the end of the day, i want the tories to figure out that they now have to be forced to work with labour and meet a middle ground if anything is gonna happen with brexit and this will hopefully shows it.

Definitely an interesting election and it'll be interesting to see how it ends.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Perhaps. But politics is unpredictable. I do think though if we ever get beyond Brexit it will favour Corbyn. In fact the main reason he surprised people last time was that the debates and manifestos largely ignored Brexit and focused on NHS/schools/social care etc. Topics on which Corbyn's genuine passion shines through.

If the Tories continue to implode then Labour might be able to cobble a government together with SNP/Lib Dems.

Though I accept a Labour majority under Corbyn is unlikely.
I suspect that if we get past Brexit the bulk of the Tory vote will recover, the bigger question is whether a Brexit in this parliament is possible.

Up in the air I agree.
MrDystopia
  • Volunteer Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Poor on the part of Labour, horrendous on the part of the Tories. Remain parties, especially the Lib Dems, have really flown, what a set of results so far.

Tories could genuinely lose over 1000 seats.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by rimstone)
How is this bad for labour? the tories are literally melting in front of us to the Lib dems and Indies. I think at the end of this labour will have around the same number of seats ( pretty much its city strong holds and northern towns ) , but even then, lib dems taking control isnt that bad ( even though they already betrayed the students and i dont trust them to do anything; useless party; theyre aint gonna do nothing for brexit, they're just a bunch of talkers; whos days have passed ) and i dont mind indie people taking over, i think indie co-ops control over local government isnt bad.

Labout could have done better for sure, but i wanna see how everyone spins it as a massive lose for them and JC, when the tories have been handed a big L, compared to labour.

Also pretty glad i registered amd voted yesterday, the ward im in at UNI, labor won by 14 votes agaisnt the Lib dems. like to think 14 student got em in. ( why students still vote for Lib dems; i dont know; do they need to increase the 3x/x9 tuition fees again for everyone to remember how much of a traitor they are to the students ? )
Lol if you think this is awful for the rotors and not bad for labour think again.
Labour should be easily winning 1000 plus new seats if they are the people’s choice for a new government whenever the next election is.

The conservatives in polar opposite to that should lose that number of seats in normal times after being in power so long! Add brexit to the mix as well......
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Miliband didn’t have a robot and a policy of the dementia tax as his opposition either......
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by paul514)
Lol if you think this is awful for the rotors and not bad for labour think again.
Labour should be easily winning 1000 plus new seats if they are the people’s choice for a new government whenever the next election is.

The conservatives in polar opposite to that should lose that number of seats in normal times after being in power so long! Add brexit to the mix as well......
A good example of performance is Cameron. Across the 06-07-08-09 local elections he not only won all 4 on vote share and seat gains but headed into 2010 with almost 12,000 Councillors. Corbyn has ~6500 and is still behind the Tories.

While he did not have a majority that was ultimately a statistical quirk. If May was 7% ahead in an election like 2010, we'd be sat on a majority of more than 50.
rimstone
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by paul514)

as the day unfolds i gotta agree with you, labour could have done better for sure; gains of , +100-300 seats would have been nice. I honestly didnt think the Lib dems were gonna be a problem and win this well, guess i was wrong. I've gotta look into their policies and see what theyre about nowadays. Anyways i need to revise .
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Curtis has calculated the projected national vote.

Con: 28% (-7%)
Lab: 28% (-1%)
Lib: 19% (+8%).
Lumpy Moo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
There has certainly been a very high level of electoral fraud. There s no way that `UKIP could perform that badly.

The establishment are up to there usual tricks.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by thestudent33)
Lol they desperate, have the results for your area come in?
Forgot to reply to this. Tories won my ward and the council comfortably
username3973192
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
Forgot to reply to this. Tories won my ward and the council comfortably
:mad2:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (265)
31.21%
The paper was reasonable (336)
39.58%
Not feeling great about that exam... (139)
16.37%
It was TERRIBLE (109)
12.84%

Watched Threads