Btec Business Unit All Notes for Pop Up CinemaWatch
• Cinema remains at the top of the list of leisure activities where young people choose to spend their money. With rising ticket prices affecting lower-income young people the most, they're a valuable audience to target with cinema promotions!
• Competitors of the pop up cinemas would be normal everyday cinemas like VUE, ODEON and showcase as they are more established companies and so pose as a threat
• Beat competitors: Rising ticket prices may deter cinema-goers from visiting as regularly as they’d like. Cinema operators are therefore looking at revenue streams beyond raising ticket base prices, including investing in widescreen theatres and ultra-comfortable VIP seating. However, by increasing the range of ticket options they risk losing clear differentiation between standard and premium options that could lead to confusion from customers.
• People are estimated to have visited the cinema in their highest numbers in the last decade during 2018. This is despite the impact of the World Cup and warm weather during the normally lucrative summer months. The growth in ticket prices has stalled in 2018, but other revenue streams have continued to grow including concessions, advertising and online booking fees.
• the pop cinema market is small therefore a niche
• Also the marketing campaign could be advertised during summer holidays for family showings as this is when children are off school and parents look for something to do during this time
• Film4 summer screens, Luna cinema and roof top cinemas for competitors
• Family Friendly
• I have not been able to find any market research as the concept is extremely niche and new. However you can use that point as an advantage as the cinema industry is falling and pop up cinema can be a healthy twist in the cinema market.
The sector is largely dominated by small-scale organisations including the Cornwall-based Miracle Theatre and The Open-Air Cinema
The UK is a global leader in pop up cinemas. It has 35 active distributors of content and has formed the only trade body for the industry in the Event Cinema Association. In 2014 event cinema was worth over £35 million in the UK and Ireland and accounted for over 3% of total box office sales.
Film4 summer screens, Luna cinema and roof top cinemas for competitors
Pop Up Cinemas are mobile, portable photo displays that display a range of content including live streaming/recorded performances, films and art events
• Indoor cinemas are more popular as it is open all year around and there is no worry about the weather because it is indoor
• Market size Market Structure Market share
• Market Size - Profitability, the most important being that market size tells you whether there’s a large enough group of consumers or businesses who will actually purchase your product and within the cinemas market there will always be a high demand for these films and even for older films therefore there is profit to be made of this type of business within this market. Competitive Advantage, the business idea in which has been settled upon is that it is pop up therefore it has the ability to move around and can screen a whole variety of movies ranging from classics to new releases and this will give a competitive advantage over the larger companies who have not branched into this idea
• Market Structure - The structure of this market would be perfect as there are many firms which provide cinema screenings and this is backed by the fact that all these competitors only have a set amount of films in which they show people with some showing older films and others focussing of newer releases. The way that prices are done are through who ever can sell the best product for the cheapest
• Market Share - The large portion of this market is controlled by Cineworld(25.4), Odeon(24.3), Vue(20.4), National Amusements(5.6), Picturehouse Cineworld(2.3), Empire Cinemas (2.2) and others(19.9). This shows that the larger companies do have some control over the other companies within this market as they own a very large share of the market which makes it rather difficult for new businesses to enter this market
• Companies such as Amazon Prime and Netflix would be competitors since they offer a cheap price for you to watch a lot of movies, offer cheap streaming services which you can watch anywhere anytime. However, pop up cinema is about the experience as well as watching a movie
• Older films tend to get played more: more recognisable for the older generation