Instagram to trial 'hiding' likes on posts Watch

StrawberryDreams
  • TSR Community Staff
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago

Instagram are trialing hiding the number of likes visible on everyone's posts other than your own, in a new experiment due to research that claims that social media 'likes' and engagement can be bad for mental health.

Head of Instagram Adam Mosseri said it was hoped the change would make the platform a "less pressurised environment".

What do you think? Do you think the pressure of how many likes you get on platforms such as Instagram is real?

What do you think the effect will be on influencers who use Instagram as a way to earn money based on engagement (i.e. likes) if this is rolled out? Would this be the death of the 'social media influencer?'

BenK64
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Don't have Instagram as its owned by Facebook, but this can only be beneficial. People can become way too obsessive over what is essentially meaningless numbers on a screen. It warps your view of what is real and meaningful in life
username3973192
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by StrawberryDreams)

Instagram are trialing hiding the number of likes visible on everyone's posts other than your own, in a new experiment due to research that claims that social media 'likes' and engagement can be bad for mental health.

Head of Instagram Adam Mosseri said it was hoped the change would make the platform a "less pressurised environment".

What do you think? Do you think the pressure of how many likes you get on platforms such as Instagram is real?

What do you think the effect will be on influencers who use Instagram as a way to earn money based on engagement (i.e. likes) if this is rolled out? Would this be the death of the 'social media influencer?'

Doesn't that the defeat the point of having social media
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hell no.
shadowdweller
  • Volunteer Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Personally I don't see much benefit to this, even assuming the basis behind it is substantial - by being able to see your own likes, surely you'd still have a potential impact on mental health? For instance, you may compare a post you made a few days/weeks/months ago to a current one, and see that it has fewer likes. It's not just others that people compare themselves to, after all.
Tenya Iida
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(cosplay community screaming in hellish fury in the distance for multiple reasons)
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Celebrities, instagram influencers, digital marketeers and the world's selfie addicted attention seekers are not going to like this at all.
JinChang
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Sucks to be a narcissist...
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
sure, don't see the problem. May be helpful to some people out there...
DerivativeName
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It doesn't change anything right? You'll still be able to see your own, and compare numbers of followers.
(Original post by londonmyst)
Celebrities, instagram influencers, digital marketeers and the world's selfie addicted attention seekers are not going to like this at all.
Other_Owl
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Kardashians/Jenners will hate this.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by DerivativeName)
It doesn't change anything right? You'll still be able to see your own, and compare numbers of followers.
I doubt the kardashians or other selfie addicts suffering from obsessive compulsive likes envy will see it that way.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yet we will not know.
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
Yet we will not know.
An army of paparazzi's make it their mission in life to tell the world whenever a volatile celeb is having a meltdown, relationship problems or has a secret.
The gossip columns will be full of unstable celebrity exhibitionists with anger management issues throwing a hissy fit or worse, based on the fact that they don't know how their instagram selfie likes compares with that of their biggest rival, worst frenemy or ex's new partner.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
An army of paparazzi's make it their mission in life to tell the world whenever a volatile celeb is having a meltdown, relationship problems or has a secret.
The gossip columns will be full of unstable celebrity exhibitionists with anger management issues throwing a hissy fit or worse, based on the fact that they don't know how their instagram selfie likes compares with that of their biggest rival, worst frenemy or ex's new partner.
You have a macabre perspective on life, has anyone ever told you that?
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
You have a macabre perspective on life, has anyone ever told you that?
Yes, the bad tempered rottweiller I'm looking after did- 5 mins ago.
She wanted to attack my leg but a cat got there first.
She is deeply insulted.
Trotsky's Iceaxe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'd like them to ditch likes altogether.

It's nothing but a digital penis waving contest.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Seems a mixture of 'too little too late' and 'duh' here..
CHANELDIAMONDS
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
well someone is gonna have to feed ma ego
CoolCavy
  • Chat Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I don't use instagram as a lot of it just seems vacous self absorbed nonsense. The only time I've ever had the slight desire to make an account is to post my art as it is easier than making a website.
If it is stressing people out they could just not use it :dontknow:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (518)
26.23%
The paper was reasonable (861)
43.59%
Not feeling great about that exam (387)
19.59%
It was TERRIBLE (209)
10.58%

Watched Threads