Sussex for Psychology 2019 Watch

tmadisonb
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Has anyone firmed sussex for psychology? I've wanted to go to Sussex for years and have an extended UCAS deadline but now I'm having second thoughts about moving away from home :/
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Where do you live?
tmadisonb
Rep:
?
Near Wimbledon, so it isn't actually that far but I've literally never spent more than 5 nights away from home
(Original post by random_matt)
Where do you live?
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by tmadisonb)
Near Wimbledon, so it isn't actually that far but I've literally never spent more than 5 nights away from home
You will be fine, Sussex is a great county.
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You will be fine.

Don't you know that Sussex is sometimes called London on sea due to the number of Londoners that flock there (and many of them go home at weekends which you could easily do if you were homesick).
tmadisonb
Rep:
?
Yeah, I've visited the uni a lot because my boyfriend is in his first year there . It's just a lot harder as i struggle with anxiety etc.
(Original post by random_matt)
You will be fine, Sussex is a great county.
tmadisonb
Rep:
?
Fingers crossed . It's just so scary when you've never really been away from home
(Original post by harrysbar)
You will be fine.

Don't you know that Sussex is sometimes called London on sea due to the number of Londoners that flock there (and many of them go home at weekends which you could easily do if you were homesick).
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Fingers crossed . It's just so scary when you've never really been away from home
I know, but lots of other people will be in the same boat and you won't be the only one feeling anxious at first.

And are there any decent alternatives? London unis tend to be either amazing (with amazingly high grade requirements) or not as good as places like Sussex?
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Yeah, I've visited the uni a lot because my boyfriend is in his first year there . It's just a lot harder as i struggle with anxiety etc.
Don't let it beat you, my only advise as I have an anxiety disorder, been latent for quite a while now. I'll be across the border.
tmadisonb
Rep:
?
I have a few unconditional offers for more local ones but Sussex is the only one out of my offers where I can actually see myself going
I know, but lots of other people will be in the same boat and you won't be the only one feeling anxious at first.

And are there any decent alternatives? London unis tend to be either amazing (with amazingly high grade requirements) or not as good as places like Sussex?
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I have a few unconditional offers for more local ones but Sussex is the only one out of my offers where I can actually see myself going
Well there you go.....you know yourself that Sussex is your best bet.

I would talk to the uni Admissions about your anxiety issues....they may be able to offer you more support if they know in advance what sort of things could help you to settle. But the main thing is to focus on the fact that you are really not far from home, you have your boyfriend there and you will make other friends - some of whom will no doubt also be feeling scared about being away from home for the first time.

I hope you get some replies soon from current students
tmadisonb
Rep:
?
Thank you, I think I needed some reassurance
Well there you go.....you know yourself that Sussex is your best bet.

I would talk to the uni Admissions about your anxiety issues....they may be able to offer you more support if they know in advance what sort of things could help you to settle. But the main thing is to focus on the fact that you are really not far from home, you have your boyfriend there and you will make other friends - some of whom will no doubt also be feeling scared about being away from home for the first time.

I hope you get some replies soon from current students
neuronal
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Has anyone firmed sussex for psychology? I've wanted to go to Sussex for years and have an extended UCAS deadline but now I'm having second thoughts about moving away from home :/
as a sussex student let me tell you, this place will make you feel at home. it's better than london imo
Shellhecd
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I firmed it, and I’m really excited to be going! I used to have really bad anxiety, and at first though I was going to be nervous, but I’m really excited now! Just think about all he new people you’re going to meet, and not about leaving home.
And I’m sure there will be people there to support you if you do feel homesick, just remember everyone is probably feeling the same!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
megan.rosea
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've firmed for psychology too and if you need any more reassurance I also have a lot of problems with anxiety!

I've been telling myself that everyone there will be in the same position and will probably be equally as homesick. It's a campus uni as well so it's more like a little community than a city university which should help to make you feel more at home.

You just have to push yourself through the nerves sometimes and know it'll all be for the best in the end because you're studying a subject you love at a uni you really see yourself at. Good luck !
kirigiri
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hey there! i also firmed for psych :^) and i have some pretty bad mental health issues lol. they have a student support service for this sort of stuff though - it might be worth getting in contact with them.
although i cant speak much for the uni yet, i do live in brighton and i can confirm its a lovely place to live. the people on the whole are very welcoming and accepting!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Olie212
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey, I firmed for ecology & I also have anxiety, we could always set up our own little support group or something. Personally, I left home in Spain to UK to do my a levels in 2016 which was spontaneous of me and I guess you could say I've been through the whole homesickness thing already, so if you ever need a chat or anything I'll always be around to help too!! I'm really looking forward to starting now as Brighton does seem like such a wholesome place to be and it's an exciting stage of our lives i think lol!!
springaloe
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I've also firmed for psych in Sussex and live around the same area, I'm quite worried about moving away too but some advice that keeps me from opting to stay in London is that despite how it may seem at first you'll find a community of people that make you feel at home wherever you decide to go and plus the people in the Sussex area seem much more approachable and easier to talk to.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are cats selfish

Yes (128)
60.66%
No (83)
39.34%

Watched Threads