Do I have to include a tax free pension lump as part of my household income?

Watch
JohnDoo99
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have recently received a PR2 form from SFE and in section 3 under 'Income from pensions' it says that I should include any tax free lump sums (TFLS) I have received. I retired in November 2018 and received a TFLS from my occupational pension as part of my retirement settlement. Government information is that Household Income is all taxable income. As this payment was tax free I don't feel that this should be included in my income from pensions.
In a different SFE form, PFF2, in the section dealing with pension income it asks about income from occupational pensions but does not ask for lump sump payments included in this, however in the state pension section it does ask about this which from investigating is because this is taxable income.
Having spoken twice to SFE I have received the same answer that my TFLS must be included in my income from pensions because of HMRC regulations.
I seem to be resigned to the fact that the resulting reduction to my daughters maintenance grant is unavoidable.
Has anyone else experience of this issue and if so how did this work out for you?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JohnDoo99)
I have recently received a PR2 form from SFE and in section 3 under 'Income from pensions' it says that I should include any tax free lump sums (TFLS) I have received. I retired in November 2018 and received a TFLS from my occupational pension as part of my retirement settlement. Government information is that Household Income is all taxable income. As this payment was tax free I don't feel that this should be included in my income from pensions.
In a different SFE form, PFF2, in the section dealing with pension income it asks about income from occupational pensions but does not ask for lump sump payments included in this, however in the state pension section it does ask about this which from investigating is because this is taxable income.
Having spoken twice to SFE I have received the same answer that my TFLS must be included in my income from pensions because of HMRC regulations.
I seem to be resigned to the fact that the resulting reduction to my daughters maintenance grant is unavoidable.
Has anyone else experience of this issue and if so how did this work out for you?
When did you get the lump sum? Which tax year?

If it was in 17/18 (the tax year that’s being assessed for 19/20 finance) then once you have provided your income information then you can request reassessment based on your 19/20 tax year income instead if it’s likely to be 15% (or more) lower.
JohnDoo99
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thanks for your reply. I received the lump sum during 2018/19. On PR2 I have to send evidence to support my estimate for 17/18 but also financial details for 18/19.

(Original post by PQ)
When did you get the lump sum? Which tax year?

If it was in 17/18 (the tax year that’s being assessed for 19/20 finance) then once you have provided your income information then you can request reassessment based on your 19/20 tax year income instead if it’s likely to be 15% (or more) lower.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads