charmainelaw
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I never thought that I would hate revising biology so much. I am so stressed about the human health and disease paper. I know most of the basic stuff but the questions on this paper are just horrible. Why is smallpox eradicated? why is tuberculosis not eradicated? Control measures for cholera etc. Why WHO collects health statistics. Explain why health is not merely the absence of disease. They are all like 5-9 marks questions and I can never put down what they want on the mark scheme. There are hardly any scientific contents to this paper and is basically testing you memory and common knowledge (which I hardly have any) ...

Enough of the moaning... Any advice on how to tackle this paper? Am I the only one feeling like this?

Thanks in advance.
crazylemon
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I felt like this and did abhout 5 past papers to get an idea of the marking technigue. As for learning thje stuff i write it out on note cards as this helps me to learn them
DragonStalker
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
Yeah, too much to remember. Been revsisin for like 9 hours last 3 days. Just stupid
LeeJT
Report 12 years ago
I'm not the only one either! I've now decided I hate this topic - well I think its mostly the Infectious Disease and Immunity which are the worst on the paper? I think Past Papers are the way forward :P
crazylemon
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Just did a past paper got 58/60
dynamikal
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Wow Crazylemon nice...Some stuff just wont stay in my head

I've got ALL THREE modules on tue IM really scared and stressed. I just dont get plants, DNA
gyrase
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm afraid you have to learn it by topic, no short cuts.

Smallpox was eradicated due to mass vacination programmes. People who've been vacinnated around in the late 1970s will also show some resistance to HIV infection since both viruses use the same surface receptors to gain entry to cells.

Tuberculosis is bacterial not viral (as smallpox) so vaccination is no use and antibiotic overuse is causing resistance.

Cholera is a waterbourne disease discovered by a chap called John snow, he made the water to cholera connection. So control would be water treatment (chlorination) and sewage treatment.

WHO collects health stats to better inform public I would think.

Generally. split diseases up into bacterial & viral and you'll have a better idea of why they can't be controlled, methods of spread etc.

Any more questions?
crazylemon
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You can vacinate against bacteria gyrase!
gyrase
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
^^ ah fair enough, my point was viral vaccines are more common. Another reason why tuberculosis is difficult to erradicate is that it is a pain to diagnose as it presents with symptoms very similar to other diseases.
crazylemon
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by gyrase)
^^ ah fair enough, my point was viral vaccines are more common. Another reason why tuberculosis is difficult to erradicate is that it is a pain to diagnose as it presents with symptoms very similar to other diseases.
Yep and laods of symptomless carriers and you can vaccinate against TB its called the BCG vaccination though it isnt 100% succesful
gyrase
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by crazylemon)
Yep and laods of symptomless carriers and you can vaccinate against TB its called the BCG vaccination though it isnt 100% succesful
Interesting, however BCG isn't used in the uk post-2005.
crazylemon
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yes but thats because levels of TB are low in most areas. I had it. it hurt.
So not worthwhile
gyrase
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by crazylemon)
Yes but thats because levels of TB are low in most areas. I had it. it hurt.
So not worthwhile
Not true. The rate of TB has risen in the uk in the past years, particuarly MDR-TB. Infact UK shows the highest rate of TB than any other country and the spread occurs due to influx of immigrants from other countries bringing TB in. This is particuarlarly a problem in East London at the moment.
LadySmythe
Badges: 19
Report 12 years ago
Revise,revise,revise, thats how I'm tackling it (well trying to, maths keeps getting in the way.. and TSR lol)
crazylemon
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by gyrase)
Not true. The rate of TB has risen in the uk in the past years, particuarly MDR-TB. Infact UK shows the highest rate of TB than any other country and the spread occurs due to influx of immigrants from other countries bringing TB in. This is particuarlarly a problem in East London at the moment.
Yes in some areas it is on the increase (inner city areas where there is poor housing and an influx of immagrants from eastern europe who have TB) and Im not certain why they stopped the vaccine (was my guess) and will attempt to find out later
LadySmythe
Report 12 years ago
They've not stopped it, its just given out less

If they stopped it, we'd have an epidemic of TB on our hands! (see i can post on a thread and revise at the same time!) lol :p:
gyrase
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Its not given out at all in the UK. The reason for the scrap is multifold;
- vaccination is a preventative method, when the cost of prevention is greater than the cost of curing than the decision would be based on how fatal the disease is
- TB isn't fatal, its asymptomatic most times, thus it is viable to scrap the vaccine and just provide treatment

As for TB being endemic, well even if it were endemic, would we know? since its asymptomatic 99.9% of the time..
LadySmythe
Report 12 years ago
Would that cost though relying on just medicationf or the treatment of TB?

And most people take their medication wrong anyway (take my word for it, I work in a pharmacy) so its not going to be treated

And it is obviously endemic if there has been a rise in the incidence of TB again
charmainelaw
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I really want to cry now. I don't have enough time to revise at all! I have 2 maths exam on Monday and 3 Chemistry exams on Wed. I get full marks in my foundation biology and I really don't understand why I keep getting marks like 35 out of 60 in this paper. Now I am basically using the pastpaper markscheme to learn this topic. Does anyone know what is the general A grade boundary for this paper?
workandstudy1
Report 12 years ago
dont know when the hhd exam is.. but i did it in jan and got 100% and i thought i should share something with u all
PAST PAPERS PAST PAPERS PAST PAPERS
AND MARK SCHEMES
seriously
that is the only way

good luck to u alll
and pls pls pls look carefully at the mark schemes... (esp recent ones)

(fingers crossed for u all)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (98)
72.06%
No (38)
27.94%

Watched Threads