neko no basu
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi there, so it's come to the time of year that most subjects that have coursework start begin the process and I have coursework in all three of my subjects (history, geography and English lit) and I'm also doing an EPQ which is kind of like coursework anyway.

I just wanted to ask for anyone who has had experience with coursework. Is it a really stressful experience especially if you have coursework in multiple subjects? How much time do you have to spend on it during the summer holidays? Is it hard? How much guidance do you get from your teachers?
Ray_Shadows
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So I did coursework for history a-level (in yr 13 btw) and my topic was to do with the British empire in Africa between 1800-1900 , unfortunately I did not find this topic interesting in the slightest which led to a lot of procrastination with it .

Now don't take this the wrong way , my point is that it kind of depends on whatever it is your researching , if it's something you like then it will most likely be a breeze but if its something you might not like researching then it could potentially be hell (like it was for me).
Hannahh77
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by neko no basu)
Hi there, so it's come to the time of year that most subjects that have coursework start begin the process and I have coursework in all three of my subjects (history, geography and English lit) and I'm also doing an EPQ which is kind of like coursework anyway.

I just wanted to ask for anyone who has had experience with coursework. Is it a really stressful experience especially if you have coursework in multiple subjects? How much time do you have to spend on it during the summer holidays? Is it hard? How much guidance do you get from your teachers?
I’m doing English too, and I have to say I’m glad we have coursework. It depends on the person really, some people really like exams as they only have to revise, however I find coursework useful as all you have to do is do the work and it takes pressure off when it comes to exam time as not all the emphasis is solely on the exam mark. Coursework can be stressful, my advice is just to work really hard and don’t fall behind- if you do it’s hard to catch up. Just work hard in the coursework and get it in early. Usually teachers are really helpful when it’s comes to coursework, and if you get it in early they may even give some feedback. Just work hard, coursework is easy marks, and it all counts towards your grade!
lily0293
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Coursework is a fantastic opportunity for you to thrive in your studies without being in exam conditions. In my opinion, it is the easiest ways to achieve marks.
blackvoid17
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

since you have coursework for multiple subjects, the key thing is time management. Stick to deadlines and maybe set your own earlier deadlines to get things done quickly just so you have some extra time to fall back on if you feel overwhelmed. coursework doesnt have to be as hard as everyone says - try to do it on something you're genuinely interested in to find it enjoyable.
In terms of guidance for teachers, I can only speak for geography. We were given general tips but no tutorials or anything specific to our own questions so it was very independent. But it wasn't particularly difficult either and it can be easy to get high grades in coursework. I did my coursework around January in year 13 so we had mocks at the same time which was annoying. I think you're lucky to have it over the summer
Last edited by blackvoid17; 2 years ago
neko no basu
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Yeah, I feel like my time management is kind of slipping. I'm already behind with my EPQ and now suddenly I've got three other subjects to be concerned about.
I've heard from my teachers (history) that the grade boundaries for coursework have got a lot higher than previous years so that's not great.
(Original post by blackvoid17)
since you have coursework for multiple subjects, the key thing is time management. Stick to deadlines and maybe set your own earlier deadlines to get things done quickly just so you have some extra time to fall back on if you feel overwhelmed. coursework doesnt have to be as hard as everyone says - try to do it on something you're genuinely interested in to find it enjoyable.
In terms of guidance for teachers, I can only speak for geography. We were given general tips but no tutorials or anything specific to our own questions so it was very independent. But it wasn't particularly difficult either and it can be easy to get high grades in coursework. I did my coursework around January in year 13 so we had mocks at the same time which was annoying. I think you're lucky to have it over the summer
blackvoid17
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah, I feel like my time management is kind of slipping. I'm already behind with my EPQ and now suddenly I've got three other subjects to be concerned about.
I've heard from my teachers (history) that the grade boundaries for coursework have got a lot higher than previous years so that's not great.
But they can't set grade boundaries until everyones done it. If they have gone up it means its easy to get marks.
You have the summer to get your time management up to scratch, but its best to sort it out asap to make your life easier later when deadlines come around. Try to prioritise the things with the closest deadlines/things that need most attention
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (312)
84.1%
No (59)
15.9%

Watched Threads