acheloisina
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
At the moment we only have two weeks left until our literature exam and I was wondering what do you believe are the best quotations to revise for the exam? Also would you do quotations by theme of characters?
s_jaya_n1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
im really struggling on A Christmas Carol and Macbeth . what would be good key themes and quotes to learn, any help would be appreciated.
acheloisina
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by s_jaya_n1)
im really struggling on A Christmas Carol and Macbeth . what would be good key themes and quotes to learn, any help would be appreciated.
Hello, I’m going to give you a few key quotes for macbeth:
“Look like the innocent flower but be the serpent underneath it”
This is a metaphor to show that for macbeth to get what he wants he needs to be devious. ‘Innocent’ has connotations of purity but the act they are about to commit is the biggest sin: regicide. This juxtaposes with the imagery of the ‘serpernt’ which has connotations of sneaky. For a context link you could link it to the bible!- lady macbeth.
“Not heaven peep through the blanket of the dark” this is a metaphor for visibility, she doesn’t want god to see her actions which is amplified by the echo of macbeth wanting to shut out the light.
Also, I feel for lady macbeth is it very important to speak about the motif of milk and blood. These are the seen in the quotations “take my milk for gall” and “make thick my blood”
“Valour of my tongue” is a metaphor for lady Macbeth’s strong words. This is due to the fact ‘valour’ has connotations of battle.
These are some quotations for lady macbeth, I do hope they are helpful. If you want quotes for specific characters please do let me know.
s_jaya_n1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
thank you for replying, since there is about a week left i am concidering just learning about thmes and not so much characters, you quotes are really helpful for lady macbeth and the themes of ambition, supernatural. again thank you for this help it is appreciated
(Original post by acheloisina)
Hello, I’m going to give you a few key quotes for macbeth:
“Look like the innocent flower but be the serpent underneath it”
This is a metaphor to show that for macbeth to get what he wants he needs to be devious. ‘Innocent’ has connotations of purity but the act they are about to commit is the biggest sin: regicide. This juxtaposes with the imagery of the ‘serpernt’ which has connotations of sneaky. For a context link you could link it to the bible!- lady macbeth.
“Not heaven peep through the blanket of the dark” this is a metaphor for visibility, she doesn’t want god to see her actions which is amplified by the echo of macbeth wanting to shut out the light.
Also, I feel for lady macbeth is it very important to speak about the motif of milk and blood. These are the seen in the quotations “take my milk for gall” and “make thick my blood”
“Valour of my tongue” is a metaphor for lady Macbeth’s strong words. This is due to the fact ‘valour’ has connotations of battle.
These are some quotations for lady macbeth, I do hope they are helpful. If you want quotes for specific characters please do let me know.
Purple Apple
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A Christmas Carol: "solitary as an oyster" shows Scrooge could be redeemed because oysters sometimes have pearls in them. (Thanks to my English teacher)
(Original post by acheloisina)
At the moment we only have two weeks left until our literature exam and I was wondering what do you believe are the best quotations to revise for the exam? Also would you do quotations by theme of characters?
Harry3232
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Purple Apple)
A Christmas Carol: "solitary as an oyster" shows Scrooge could be redeemed because oysters sometimes have pearls in them. (Thanks to my English teacher)
“Solitary” employs a more isolated approach of the Victorian society. The adjective departures from the norms of family interaction at Christmas time and hosts the idea that Scrooge disengages himself from society. Moreover, the adjective is adjacent to a major theme within the novella - Isolation. It provides an insight into his further application of extreme disengagement. Would be useful to explore “oysters” too and mention how usually, there is a sense of value hidden deep within. Perhaps this applies to Scrooge, hinting he has the potential to change from this petulant species and blossom into a kind and thoughtful man.

I got a 9 in lit last year...if you need anything else annotated for A Christmas Carol, send me the quote and I will analyse for you
Last edited by Harry3232; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.24%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.41%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (83)
19.53%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.41%
No - I live at home during term anyway (125)
29.41%

Watched Threads