M537 - Motion on the Opposition to Donald Trump's State Visit Watch

This discussion is closed.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago

What is this thread about? This is a motion in the Model House of Commons (MHoC). It's a proposed statement that MPs debate, and there's a good chance that the House will later vote on it, but it doesn't have any legal effect. All are welcome and encouraged to ask questions about the motion's content and join in the debate – you don't have to be in a party or be an MP to do so.

What is the MHoC? It's a political role-playing game where we pretend to be the House of Commons, and it's been going since 2005. We have formed parties, we have elections twice a year, and we debate bills and motions just like the real-life parliament. If you want to know more about how the MHoC works, your first port of call is the user manual. If you'd like to get involved and possibly join a party, you want the welcome thread.

Motion on the opposition to Donald Trump's State Visit, thestudent33 MP
This House calls upon the Government to use all preventative measures available to them to stop the prime minister of the USA coming to the UK for his state visit. This House condemns the distasteful actions and policies of the President and opposes his visit to the UK
Last edited by Saracen's Fez; 1 month ago
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nay! We should not no platforms those who certain people disagree with. He is the president of out closest ally, the United States. Not some tinpot dictator from murderville
Mr T 999
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Who's the author of this motion? CatusStarbright

And lol ''prime minister of the USA'' :rofl: :toofunny:
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
*Comments as MP*

I disagree with this. He is a head of state and the US is a close ally. It is okay to disagree with his politics but he needs to be afforded the respect befitting his position.

My opinion would probably be different if he were committing genocide or something, but he is not.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mr T 999)

Ah I did not realise that wasn't on there. I'll pop it on now.
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can I ask who submitted this please CatusStarbright?

Also to the motion itself, lol no, we’ve accepted the heads of oppressive states like Singapore, China and Turkey for state visits; Donald Trump’s sins pale in comparison to some of theirs.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
(Original post by Connor27)
Can I ask who submitted this please CatusStarbright?
It's on there now.
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
thestudent33 why I'm not surprised :rolleyes:
ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Although opinions differ surrounding his character, he was duly elected to the office of President of the United States - one of our most important strategic allies. Nay.
Saunders16
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Abstain.

President Trump does not deserve a state visit. Indeed, state visits have been used and abused for some of the worst, most authoritarian leaders in the world. He may not be one of those, but he stands against our country and our allies on the Paris Agreement, he stands against our people and our tolerant values on Islam and he is not to be trusted.

President Trump does deserve an ordinary working visit to the UK. He is a leader of one of our key allies and a country we want to pursue a trade deal with. We need to work with him, but we certainly should not accept his bigotry and unwillingness to work with the international community. We shouldn't let him overshadow other events at the time, and I don't much like the thought of him and Her Majesty The Queen in a room together.

I will only vote for this if it is made clear that this house is in opposition to a state visit, but in favour of an ordinary working visit. I would also like acknowledgement that we have abused state visits, but that it doesn't mean we can't start with President Trump. This rude man isn't somebody we should be sucking up to and if it takes his exuberance to stop sucking up to bigots and poor leaders, so be it.
LeapingLucy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Where was your objection when the Chinese Premier came on a state visit? He is putting Uighur Muslims in concentration camps. And as much as I despise Trump, none of the terrible things he has done are at that level of horrificness.

Your motion also makes no sense - why would you call on the government to ‘prevent Trump from entering the UK by any means possible’ when they’re the ones who invited him? A motion to rescind the invitation would make far more sense.
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
Where was your objection when the Chinese Premier came on a state visit? He is putting Uighur Muslims in concentration camps. And as much as I despise Trump, none of the terrible things he has done are at that level of horrificness.

Your motion also makes no sense - why would you call on the government to ‘prevent Trump from entering the UK by any means possible’ when they’re the ones who invited him? A motion to rescind the invitation would make far more sense.
Indeed, President Xi’s men have been caught on camera raping Uyghur Muslim women and forcing pork down their throats to eat... yet apparently Donald Trump is somehow worse than that.
Saunders16
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LeapingLucy)

I oppose giving President Xi a state visit along with President Trump, and for that matter other leaders such as Jair Bolsonaro and Viktor Orbán.

I agree that President Trump should be allowed in the country, and I believe that he should be given an ordinary working visit and that we should merely rescind the invitation and change the terms of his visit.
EagleKingdom
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, we should welcome President Trump.
TheRadishPrince
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Of course he should be allowed to visit.

He is a controversial figure yes, but he is not a brutal dictator by any means.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What a joke this is, block Trump in a position that doesn't exist from visiting because the proposers disagree with some things he did, although seem unwilling to say what exactly. We've also had state visits from China 3 times in the last two decades and from Putin, in 1994 the Queen hosted Mugabe and in 1992 the Sultan of Brunei (that one that brought back stoning for the gays) with Mubarak the year before.

The US is our closest ally and one with which we have a deep and special relationship, the notion that the "Prime Minister" should be rejected because some people don't like some things he's done is absurd and in reality just means there should be no state visits ever for I doubt there is a single head of state out there that has not done, or wants to do, something that some people won't like.
username3973192
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ahem Ahem.

Let me just say that I put together this motion in my break - which is five minutes - this should explain the errors I made in the wording, such as prime minister instead of president. :blushing: Also, this is only my second serious motion so please do bear with me - I'm learning!

However, I will be doing a second reading of this if that's possible, not too sure how it works.

On the point of the visits from the Chinese Premier can I just say that I would unfailingly recreate the same motion for him too but I wasn't around at the time of his visit so that should explain it.
username3973192
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
Nay! We should not no platforms those who certain people disagree with. He is the president of out closest ally, the United States. Not some tinpot dictator from murderville
It's a matter of opinion
username3973192
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mr T 999)

Apologies
username3973192
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
*Comments as MP*

I disagree with this. He is a head of state and the US is a close ally. It is okay to disagree with his politics but he needs to be afforded the respect befitting his position.

My opinion would probably be different if he were committing genocide or something, but he is not.
As Saunders16 pointed out, if necessary give him a working visit he doesn't deserve a state visit
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (207)
32.7%
The paper was reasonable (309)
48.82%
Not feeling great about that exam... (72)
11.37%
It was TERRIBLE (45)
7.11%

Watched Threads