The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Southampton Accommodation: Non-ensuite

Hello Student Room (this is my first question),

I have put in my firm choice to study Modern History and Politics at the University of Southampton. In terms of cost, I want to cut down so am torn between Non-ensuite category 1 in Glen Eyre and Non-ensuite category 2 in Wessex Lane (both are £16 a night). There are benefits for each but I think the deciding factor for me would be whether the room has a washbasin and how many people I would share a bathroom with. I have found the Southampton website to be not very useful on this.

So does anybody know if Non-ensuite category 1 in Glen Eyre and Non-ensuite category 2 in Wessex Lane have washbasins and how many people share a bathroom?

Thank you so much in advance for any replies!
Original post by NERFHERDER
Hello Student Room (this is my first question),

I have put in my firm choice to study Modern History and Politics at the University of Southampton. In terms of cost, I want to cut down so am torn between Non-ensuite category 1 in Glen Eyre and Non-ensuite category 2 in Wessex Lane (both are £16 a night). There are benefits for each but I think the deciding factor for me would be whether the room has a washbasin and how many people I would share a bathroom with. I have found the Southampton website to be not very useful on this.

So does anybody know if Non-ensuite category 1 in Glen Eyre and Non-ensuite category 2 in Wessex Lane have washbasins and how many people share a bathroom?

Thank you so much in advance for any replies!

Hi there :smile:

Great to hear you're going to be coming to the University of Southampton! Welcome to :tsr: by the way :smile:

Sorry to be unable to be specific, but unfortunately it really varies to whether or not rooms have washbasins.
Non-ensuite category 2 is more likely to have a washbasin. 1 is a basic room, 2 usually means there is something else about it - ie: It may be newer, sometimes in Glen Eyre there are double beds (but v v v limited) and sometimes wash basins (but I've not seen many). However, this really depends on what you get allocated which you do not find out until you move in.

Just take the fact that a non-ensuite category 2 will have something more than 1, what that is you won't know for sure until you get there.

Must warn you that if you are going for low-cost rooms these are usually quite popular so either make lots of your choices low cost rooms so the accommodation team know you want to save up or write in the "notes " section what you're especially after.

Sorry to be so unhelpful but it is this way because allocations change very often due to the late arrival of clearing students/disabled or people with specific needs for certain rooms and so rooms get swapped about. Therefore the only time which you can know of exact room details is when you get there.
Cheese :smile:
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Thank you so much for your reply!

I think I will put non-ensuite category 1 in Glen Eyre and non-ensuite category 2 as my first and second options respectively (just because I think Glen Eyre position and campus is better).
Original post by NERFHERDER
Thank you so much for your reply!

I think I will put non-ensuite category 1 in Glen Eyre and non-ensuite category 2 as my first and second options respectively (just because I think Glen Eyre position and campus is better).

No problem, I would just add - please don't worry about location/time to get to campus! You get a bus pass included with your accommodation which gets you everywhere. Buses are also super frequent (every 20 minutes, around lecture times they are every 5-10 minutes).

All the best,
Cheese
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
No problem, I would just add - please don't worry about location/time to get to campus! You get a bus pass included with your accommodation which gets you everywhere. Buses are also super frequent (every 20 minutes, around lecture times they are every 5-10 minutes).

All the best,
Cheese

You seem very knowledgeable,
Where would you say is the most worthy place to live (ensuite and non-ensuite) i'm talking about price:quality ratio
Original post by I ASK QUESTIONS
You seem very knowledgeable,
Where would you say is the most worthy place to live (ensuite and non-ensuite) i'm talking about price:quality ratio

I worked at the accommodation part of the Uni last year for the University of Southampton :smile:
Hm
Well I am not sure, it depends what is important to you
For me the best quality is having part-catering at Wessex Lane - this is a non-ensuite site and the catering is where you get breakfast (full english or cereal/pastries etc.) and a choice of lunch on campus (£7.50 value) or dinner at halls. The menu is posted online.
The site is gorgeous - Connaught Old Quad is where you want to be - it looks a bit like a Cambridge college :tongue:
It's a bit older you see, however, the common areas are recently refurbished which is awesome! Check the website for what facilities there are!

For an ensuite - Archer's road is not bad. It's also quite traditional but it's good value for an ensuite - it's halfway between the city centre and campus which is popular for people who like to go to the clubs etc.
It's the cheapest ensuite option available and you get a bus pass included with any hall so you don't need to worry about getting about!

Hope this helps,
Cheese
P.S Feel free to quote me if you have more questions!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending