nmkat
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi, I was reading this essay that my English teacher gave on "How Lanyon is presented in 'Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde'?' and there's a part which states, "The convention of letters and documents that by now makes up a weight of unspoken information serves this end perfectly." This sentence is in regard to the quote, " if you insist upon an explanation, you will have understood that these arrangements are of capital importance." and is said by Jekyll. If anyone would be able to explain to me what the sentence means, I just can't seem to wrap my head around it. Thank you.
WarhurstE
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Isn't it just saying that the letters give the information that the Utterson could not find out for himself that is why they are so important. Jekyll and Lanyon have their information in the form of a letter because they can't tell/ won't tell the information themselves.
This is just my interpretation, correct me if i am wrong
Shadywolf
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
In the easiest form he's explaining how important the documentation actually is to the plot of the novella x
(Original post by nmkat)
Hi, I was reading this essay that my English teacher gave on "How Lanyon is presented in 'Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde'?' and there's a part which states, "The convention of letters and documents that by now makes up a weight of unspoken information serves this end perfectly." This sentence is in regard to the quote, " if you insist upon an explanation, you will have understood that these arrangements are of capital importance." and is said by Jekyll. If anyone would be able to explain to me what the sentence means, I just can't seem to wrap my head around it. Thank you.
nmkat
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
thankk youu
Shadywolf
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Your welcome Jekyll and Hyde is the only thing I can do in English class so ye
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (133)
30.09%
No (309)
69.91%

Watched Threads