Aquinas' Analogy religious language Watch

greenpen
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
can anybody explain to me what Aquinas means when he talks about analogy of proportion and analogy of attribution in simple terms I'm having difficulty understanding it.
thanks.
Lu-x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by greenpen)
can anybody explain to me what Aquinas means when he talks about analogy of proportion and analogy of attribution in simple terms I'm having difficulty understanding it.
thanks.
Analogy of proportionality - the view that all good qualities belong infinitely to God and, in proportion, to humans too. A plant has a life, an human has life, God has life - there is a proportionate relationship between each life in the list, with God's being the greatest and the plants being a bit rubbish . This helps us to understand a bit about God, though we can never really understand him fully.

Analogy of attribution - the view that God is the cause of all good things in humans is God. Therefore, God's attributes are simply on a higher level of our own. Hick gave examples of 'upwards' analogy of attribution, such as speaking of a dog's faithfulness and then going upwards to human faith in God.

I reckon that they are quite similar, but if you just memorize PROPORTION and PLANT, and then ATTRIBUTION with A DOG (very lame, I know) then you should be able to remember the meaning of each in an exam? Personally, I hate analogy, I'm leaving it out of my revision
lottie123
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
These are the notes that I have on it for revision...sorry if it's a little long winded!!

* Aquinas rejects the use of univocal and eqivocal language to talk about God; instead he uses analogy which is basically a comparison between two things in which the first simpler thing is used to explain the second more complex thing which is in some way similar. This means analogy relies on the fact there is some point of comparison which links the two things in the analogy.
* Analogy can be used to describe God because he is revealed through Creation meaning there is some point of comparison between God and the world.

Analogy of Attribution
* This means words such as just and good may be applied to God as well as human beings. When we use these words we are saying that a person has the quality of being good/just.
* Because God created the world, He is revealed through it and this gives a point of comparison. We can know what it is for a person to be good or wise and from the way God is revealed in the world we can use these words to describe Him.
* What it means for God to be good is unclear but we deduce from the world that God is good.
* Aquinas uses the analogy, 'The medicine is healthy'; 'The urine is healthy'
The medicine being healthy is the cause of the urine being healthy. Healthy is used in similar but not quite the same way in both cases. Urine is only healthy as the health came from the medicine, while the medicine is healthy in itself.
* So, if we say, 'God is good'; 'The Pope is good', good is being used in similar senses. Because we can see goodness in human beings this means that God is the source of goodness as He is the Creator and Sustainer of all things.
* Important to remember that Aquinas is not talking about good in a human, moral sense as God is infallible. God has the quality of being good, whatever that means for Him.

Analogy of Proportion
* If you say a car is good you are saying that the car measures up to the idea of what a good car should be like.
* If you say someone is a good person, the word good means the person somehow matches certain ideals of what a good person is.
* In the statement, 'God is good', good is used to indicate that God measures up to what it is for God to be good.
* Aquinas describes God as being perfectly good as He is eternal and unchangeable. Aquinas was not talking about moral goodness. Rather he was saying that God is good as He lives upto what He should be.
* It also explains how a word refers to the quality the thing possesses in proportion to the kind of reality it possesses - humans are loyal in proportion to the loyalty of a human being.
One can understand that God is omnipotent because we have the human idea of power. God is proportionally more powerful than humans so although we can not completely understand the idea of God's omnipotence we can have an insight into God's power because of our human experience of power.
greenpen
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
WOW!
Thanks for both of your help, i have a better understanding thanks!
Triciatrish
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks very much good to know others are following this pathway
Triciatrish
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks for your help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (44)
60.27%
No (29)
39.73%

Watched Threads