The Student Room Group

Mum invalidate my illness

I recently had a test done to be check to see if I have dyslexia as I'm currently struggling with time management and grammar on my assignment, because of this my tutor had to mark my grade down due to him having trouble understand my writing and use "I" in my assignment. My tutor was wondering why I was having trouble and suggest it be autism or dyslexia. I told my mum and she said to get a test for it which I did. The person who was testing me said I had problem process information and trouble with memory and that it most likely I do have it. Well, my mum like to play doctor and say I don't have it and it mostly likes due to my mental health and sexual abuse (I did mention my mental health issues and abuse during the assessment) and that I don't have dyslexia. This is the first time she has this done before when I was prescribed anti-acid medication my mum laugh and said to eat my food slower, so I stop taking my medication and lied to the doctor cause my mum convinced me it was all in my head. When I explain it to her a year later she apologises but still repeats the same behaviour. I'm so frustrated and angry life here, I want to move away but my mum convinces me I can't cope without living here. Can some please help me I can't cope living here? my younger sister gets mad at me when I have trouble processing information. I had my mum say I'm not transgender and that I'm confused because of my sexual abuse.
Original post by Hithereimash
I recently had a test done to be check to see if I have dyslexia as I'm currently struggling with time management and grammar on my assignment, because of this my tutor had to mark my grade down due to him having trouble understand my writing and use "I" in my assignment. My tutor was wondering why I was having trouble and suggest it be autism or dyslexia. I told my mum and she said to get a test for it which I did. The person who was testing me said I had problem process information and trouble with memory and that it most likely I do have it. Well, my mum like to play doctor and say I don't have it and it mostly likes due to my mental health and sexual abuse (I did mention my mental health issues and abuse during the assessment) and that I don't have dyslexia. This is the first time she has this done before when I was prescribed anti-acid medication my mum laugh and said to eat my food slower, so I stop taking my medication and lied to the doctor cause my mum convinced me it was all in my head. When I explain it to her a year later she apologises but still repeats the same behaviour. I'm so frustrated and angry life here, I want to move away but my mum convinces me I can't cope without living here. Can some please help me I can't cope living here? my younger sister gets mad at me when I have trouble processing information. I had my mum say I'm not transgender and that I'm confused because of my sexual abuse.

Is there family you can stay with until you can find a more long term solution? Your mum's behaviour is damaging your health and you need to get away as soon as you can.
im srry to hear that op

hw old r u if you dnt mind me asking
Original post by jameelagrada
im srry to hear that op

hw old r u if you dnt mind me asking

I'm 20 doing a foundation degree in university because I didn't get good grade during my BTEC course and failed my English GCSE and math twice.
Unfortunately, no as most of my family members are Muslim and are worse than my mum (they would yell at you if you did something wrong or force religion down your throat), plus there also homophobic and hate that my hair is too short. I was planning to move out to go to university in Staffordshire but my mum told me I couldn't cope so I stay at home. She likes to brag it will cost less. I plan to move in the next two years to top off my university course.

Original post by claireestelle
Is there family you can stay with until you can find a more long term solution? Your mum's behaviour is damaging your health and you need to get away as soon as you can.
Unfortunately, no as most of my family members are Muslim and are worse than my mum (they would yell at you if you did something wrong or force religion down your throat), plus there also homophobic and hate that my hair is too short. I was planning to move out to go to university in Staffordshire but my mum told me I couldn't cope so I stay at home. She likes to brag it will cost less. I plan to move in the next two years to top off my university course.

It would be challenging but you could find part time work to supplement a minimum student loan (i don't know if you have the same beliefs as your family/ are comfortable taking a loan?) so that you can move out as soon as you can. Focus on saving every penny you can and trying not to let your mum control your health, perhaps consider coming up with stomach issues or something along those lines if you have an appointment as you can pick up any prescriptions alone so she wouldn't then try and manipulate you not to take anything.
It would be challenging but you could find part time work to supplement a minimum student loan (i don't know if you have the same beliefs as your family/ are comfortable taking a loan?) so that you can move out as soon as you can. Focus on saving every penny you can and trying not to let your mum control your health, perhaps consider coming up with stomach issues or something along those lines if you have an appointment as you can pick up any prescriptions alone so she wouldn't then try and manipulate you not to take anything.

I tried to get a job it either one my mum doesn't like or it gets rejected (this is before I was diagnosed with having dyslexia).
I tried to get a job it either one my mum doesn't like or it gets rejected (this is before I was diagnosed with having dyslexia).

If that makes you uncomfortable you don't have to disclose that you have dyslexia when applying for a job, just do the best you can to find a job and keep yourself as healthy as possible until you can get out of there.

I forgot to mention I'm an atheist but I'm going to try to bring my mum to the doctor with me and try to reason with me. Either that or I'm going to ask my dad to help to pay for my medication. I have this throat spray which helps when I have a sore throat. When at university I constantly got sick with a cough so I mainly focus on my university work. I doing much better beside a having stomach ache, so I'm going to try to apply for a job. The problem is my throat and stomach make a weird noise and people constantly think I'm staving myself which is the opposite.
I forgot to mention I'm an atheist but I'm going to try to bring my mum to the doctor with me and try to reason with me. Either that or I'm going to ask my dad to help to payment for my medication. I have this throat spray which helps when I have a sore throat. When at university I constantly got sick with a cough so I mainly focus on my university work. I doing much better beside a having stomach ache, so I'm going to try to apply for a job. The problem is my throat and stomach make a weird noise and people constantly think I'm staving myself which is the opposite.

If your dad is more reasonable then try speaking to him about it.
I think so, my dad was the one who told me to go see a doctor cause I kept getting a cough.
If your dad is more reasonable then try speaking to him about it.
Hi @Hithereimash
If you are considering studying at Staffordshire or any other institution, there are lots of services available to support students with health and wellbeing challenges they might be facing during their studies.
Kind regards, Shaun

Hello Bernard here i has little bit dyplexia can i has place at your schol
I will love you long time x
Original post by Staffordshire University
Hi @Hithereimash
If you are considering studying at Staffordshire or any other institution, there are lots of services available to support students with health and wellbeing challenges they might be facing during their studies.
Kind regards, Shaun

Quick Reply

Latest