isabellewalker15
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Why is fluorine a gas at room temperature?
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
from a random answer somewhere in 2014

The molecules of each substance attract each other through dispersion (London) intermolecular forces.(***)
Whether a substance is a solid, liquid, or gas depends on the balance between the kinetic energies of the molecules and their intermolecular attractions.
In fluorine, the electrons are tightly held to the nuclei. The electrons have little chance to wander to one side of the molecule, so the London dispersion forces are relatively weak.

As we move from fluorine to iodine, the electrons are further from the nuclei so the electron clouds can more easily distort. The London dispersion forces become progressively stronger.

At a low enough temperature the molecules will all be solids. At a high enough temperature they will all be gases.
It is only at temperatures between -7 °C and 59 °C that fluorine and chlorine are gases, bromine is a solid, and iodine is a solid.

(***) The London dispersion force is the weakest intermolecular force. The London dispersion force is a temporary attractive force that results when the electrons in two adjacent atoms occupy positions that make the atoms form temporary dipoles. This force is sometimes called an induced dipole-induced dipole attraction. "the weakest temporary dipole effect"
LuigiMario
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oh, and keep away from Flourine . When I did a lot of real world chemical experiment with HF, before taking the (ceramic) bottle out of the cupboard, we used to telephone to the local hospital that we were starting an experiment, and we got all the anti-burn gels ready, just in case.
isabellewalker15
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thank you, it was for my AQA paper and I have never seen this answer before. This really helped 😀

(Original post by LuigiMario)
from a random answer somewhere in 2014

The molecules of each substance attract each other through dispersion (London) intermolecular forces.(***)
Whether a substance is a solid, liquid, or gas depends on the balance between the kinetic energies of the molecules and their intermolecular attractions.
In fluorine, the electrons are tightly held to the nuclei. The electrons have little chance to wander to one side of the molecule, so the London dispersion forces are relatively weak.

As we move from fluorine to iodine, the electrons are further from the nuclei so the electron clouds can more easily distort. The London dispersion forces become progressively stronger.

At a low enough temperature the molecules will all be solids. At a high enough temperature they will all be gases.
It is only at temperatures between -7 °C and 59 °C that fluorine and chlorine are gases, bromine is a solid, and iodine is a solid.

(***) The London dispersion force is the weakest intermolecular force. The London dispersion force is a temporary attractive force that results when the electrons in two adjacent atoms occupy positions that make the atoms form temporary dipoles. This force is sometimes called an induced dipole-induced dipole attraction. "the weakest temporary dipole effect"
Pigster
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by isabellewalker15)
A GCSE level (chemistry) answer would be, F2 has:
weak...
intermolecular forces...
which need little energy to overcome.
i.e. possibly three marking.
Eimmanuel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by isabellewalker15)
Hi,
I moved the thread to Chemistry Forum and change the title of the thread to better suit the question that you are asking.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (25)
18.25%
I'm not sure (3)
2.19%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (45)
32.85%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.19%
I'm not a current university student (61)
44.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed