I got accepted onto a masters but don't know whether to do it

Watch
cherlloydfan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I got accepted to do a masters degree in computer science at Greenwich university but I only got a third in my undergraduate degree in computer science and I haven't done any programming since I left so now I'm worried that I won't be able to cope with it on the course. What shall I do?
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well you can brush up your python just by watching you tube, download an IDE onto some sort of Mac or PC

http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/b...des-for-linux#

there are many more but in view of the fact that nearly all online service are heavily python based (netflix etc)
it's something that you need to know, as well as being a refresher for your degree coding

if you want a task, then build a python 3.5 based web-browser, I did that , took about 4 days
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by cherlloydfan)
So I got accepted to do a masters degree in computer science at Greenwich university but I only got a third in my undergraduate degree in computer science and I haven't done any programming since I left so now I'm worried that I won't be able to cope with it on the course. What shall I do?
Having done part of a masters and also having seen my son, daughter and nephew complete masters I can tell you that the step up from undergraduate is monumental.

It says to me that the university is desperate to recruit to swell their coffers. Did they ask why you got a third.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by cherlloydfan)
Tbh, I've not heard of a university accepting someone for a master's course with a third at undergrad (unless there were mitigating circumstances involved), particularly when it's in the same discipline. Did they question your classification at all? If not, then I wouldn't be surprised if they accepted you to keep their enrolment numbers up.

Also, what made you apply for a master's if you didn't do that well at undergrad? Master's level study is more complex than undergrad, which is why universities usually expect a high classification in your first degree, as this is a sign that you'll be able to cope with the step up.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.55%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.13%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.1%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.13%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (77)
28.62%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.47%

Watched Threads