chelseahazard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hello,

I have recently got an offer for MSc Finance at Lancaster University which costs £16,000 but I received a £5000 scholarship if I take the offer (before 24th May).

I also applied to both MSc Financial Economics and MSc Economics at the University of Manchester but I am still waiting to hear back.

I want to work in Investment Banking upon completion of my Masters so I was wondering which programme at which University would give me the best chance?

I know IB's target Oxbridge/LSE but I have heard of many people from Manchester/Lancaster working for BB's so I still fancy my chances. Along with the fact I completed my placement year abroad in Hong Kong for HSBC I am confident I could get a graduate job in HSBC's IB division if I can't get one at a more prestigious IB. Also worth noting that I will probably apply for investment management/investment research for initial analyst roles and eventually move through to IB once I've got my foot in the company.

So to sum up, I just want to know which would be the better programme and University to get into Banking, considering prestige of the University and global prospects?

MSc Finance at Lancaster vs MSc Financial Economics/Economics at Uni of Manchester

Thank you so much
jpt4749
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I would choose Manchester due to following advantages

Long established business school renowned worldwide

Better ranking in global leagues

Opportunities for connection with top employers from around the world
chelseahazard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Thank you, but at Manchester the course is ran by the School of Social Sciences not the Business School, does this make much difference?
(Original post by jpt4749)
I would choose Manchester due to following advantages

Long established business school renowned worldwide

Better ranking in global leagues

Opportunities for connection with top employers from around the world
Christ0Montana
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Yes, if its not Alliance Business School your degree will be percived as less reputable and you might have access to fewer networking opportunities and events. I would speak about that with the admissions team tough, stating your fear of not studying at the business school.

Overall I'd say Manchester>Lancaster, but both are good courses! Finance might be more relevant than standard Econ though, so you might be stronger in interviews and cases because you have actually learnt the stuff banks do daily (not so much with econ).

If you hustle, network and already have good internships on your CV both unis should be enough to make a few T2 BB / EB Interviews. HSBC is a good bank, after a few years you could also go the MBA / Post Exp Master route instead of doing a master now and then try to lateral into a higher tier bank.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (18)
6.98%
They might tell the bully (26)
10.08%
I don't think they'd understand (42)
16.28%
It might lead to more bullying (93)
36.05%
There's nothing they could do (79)
30.62%

Watched Threads