National Insurance Number - Bank Account

Watch
T.m.c
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I want to open a student bank account and I wanted to know if you have to provide your national insurance number or just proof of your identity as in: passport??
HoldThisL
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
if you're opening a new account probably yes but if you're upgrading your current account (eg a young person's account at barclays) to a student account (eg student addition at barclays) then you should only need your student status number from ucas since they already have proof of your identity
T.m.c
Rep:
?
Ah okay, I was hoping that I would only need the number UCAS has provided me and my passport
(Original post by HoldThisL)
if you're opening a new account probably yes but if you're upgrading your current account (eg a young person's account at barclays) to a student account (eg student addition at barclays) then you should only need your student status number from ucas since they already have proof of your identity
jameswhughes
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by T.m.c)
Hi, I want to open a student bank account and I wanted to know if you have to provide your national insurance number or just proof of your identity as in: passport??
I've never needed to provide my national insurance number to open a bank account, as least not that I can remember. Usually the only requirements for a student account are proof of identity and student status, and you have both of those.
martin7
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by T.m.c)
To open an account at a bank you normally need both proof of identity and proof of address.

Check with the bank's website, it should be clear what they'll accept as providing evidence of identity and address.
Jack22031994
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by T.m.c)
You'll need a proof of Identify and proof of address. (Passport and Driving licence are the easiest) You only really need ur NI number if you want to open an ISA because of the tax free savings it brings.

For a Student account, you would probably need proof you're a student. Id say speak to your current bank and see if they can give you a student account.

I work for a bank btw
T.m.c
Rep:
?
Ah okay great, do you know if I can do all of this online or do I have to go to a bank and sign stuff? I'm not gonna be in England until Spetember so it would be a problem for me that's why
(Original post by Jack22031994)
You'll need a proof of Identify and proof of address. (Passport and Driving licence are the easiest) You only really need ur NI number if you want to open an ISA because of the tax free savings it brings.

For a Student account, you would probably need proof you're a student. Id say speak to your current bank and see if they can give you a student account.

I work for a bank btw
Jack22031994
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by T.m.c)
Ah okay great, do you know if I can do all of this online or do I have to go to a bank and sign stuff? I'm not gonna be in England until Spetember so it would be a problem for me that's why
You can open accounts online, but it still may ask you to bring ID to a branch (you wont knowuntil you apply) I would say contact a few banks and see what you can do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (53)
29.78%
No - I have already returned home (23)
12.92%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (42)
23.6%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (15)
8.43%
No - I live at home during term anyway (45)
25.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed