Christians are “the most persecuted religious group” Watch

Andrew97
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by AJ126)
If you are going to debate whether a religion is the "most" persecuted then its kind of necessary to bring other religions into it.
I disagree with that debate completly. Its unhelpful to try and score "most opressed" brownie points. And as I say just writing something like "islam is more opressed" or “insert religious group did some oppressing” doesn't add to the debate.
Last edited by Andrew97; 2 weeks ago
Obolinda
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
I disagree with that debate completly.
Ah, I see. I do agree. It's just earlier you were staring that mentioning other religious persecution in a debate about which religion is most persecuted is irrelevant, when it clearly is.
AJ126
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
I disagree with that debate completly. Its unhelpful to try and score "most opressed" brownie points. And as I say just writing something like "islam is more opressed" or “insert religious group did some oppressing” doesn't add to the debate.
But that is the entire point of the thread.Its in the title "Christians are most oppressed".By putting that in the title Christians are already claiming the gold medal in the oppression Olympics.
Jebedee
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Zasty)
why do people want to be "the victims" so badly.
Because so called victims can use it to justify their abhorrent behaviour while garnering support from the useful idiots.
akbar0123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Taz554:-))
because no christians are being ethnically cleansed or persecuted on the level of muslims. Im simply stating that Hunt is wrong. Christians are not the most persecuted
Yes they were. Isis ethnically cleansed Christians in their territory, forcing them to convert to Islam or die. They carried out various terror attacks on Christians in Egypt, Syria, Indonesia, Philippines and now Sri Lanka as well, so we can’t ignore that they are being cleansed and persecuted.
akbar0123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
I have to laugh :rolleyes:

Also it seems bizarre for them to fixate on the dearth of Christianity in the middle east when it's one of the most prevalent religions in most other areas of the world, including the Asia-Pacific region, Africa, and South America, not to mention Europe and North America.

But I guess the fact there is one place they don't have a vice-grip on is unacceptable to them..
I think he unacceptable part is that Christians in those place face persecution for being Christian, rather than the fact that Christianity hasn’t become a prevalent religion in the area
JTharma
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Taz554:-))
tell that to the millions of Rohingya Muslims and Palestinians and Uighur Muslims being 'Ethnically Cleansed'
Tell that to the millions of Christians being ethnically cleansed. Christians are being slaughtered, forced to convert or subject to threats and intimidation across the Middle East and other Islamic countries. In Iraq there used to be 1.5 million Christians, now there’s 150000.
JTharma
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
I have to laugh :rolleyes:

Also it seems bizarre for them to fixate on the dearth of Christianity in the middle east when it's one of the most prevalent religions in most other areas of the world, including the Asia-Pacific region, Africa, and South America, not to mention Europe and North America.

But I guess the fact there is one place they don't have a vice-grip on is unacceptable to them..
If you have to laugh at Christians being ethnically cleansed in the Middle East and other countries, them being subject to threats, intimidation and not being allowed to practise their religion freely, then you need to get a better sense of humour because this is a very serious issue. This is not about Christians not being influential in the region, this is about Christians having to live in fear due to their faith.
stoyfan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
As predicted, this thread quickly turned into a who's more oppresed group discussion. There isn't really any point in debating because as soon as throw examples of people being persecuted in one religion, others will throw perfectly valid examples of other religions being persecuted.

In the Syrian and Iraqi civil war, people were persecuted because they believed in the wrong sect of islam, Christianity and Yazidism. Not to mention that people were also executed for not supporting the reigime or being intellectuals. I don't think anyone should really focus on which religion is the most persecuted, because plenty of people from all religions are or have been persecuted. Not to mention that loads of people have also been persecuted for non religious reasons (e.g due to their ethinicity or political beliefs).

Also, don't bother using the 'but it hasn't been talked about in the mainstream media!' because chances are that it has been talked about in the MSM.

This is just a pathetic discussion for people who want to get the most prosecuted religion brownie points (as someone else said).
Last edited by stoyfan; 2 weeks ago
looloo2134
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
China persecuted everybody that does not follow the party rules Christians and other religious groups are seen as being more loyal to their religion than to China so they are oppressed and watched by the state.

Some of the students your housemates and lecturers sound like ignorant intolerant prats I'm an atheist myself but I would never dream of mocking and belittling a person Christain believes. Do not try and fit in with those people at university because they're nothing more than small-minded entrailed brats.
(Original post by Kernanicus)
A lot of people from my church are international students from China where Christians are heavily persecuted which has been well documented. I think the problem here is not 'who is most oppressed' or 'who is most oppressed per capita' but that in the UK we associate Christianity with Europe and the US where Christians are generally in a good position but we forget about the millions of Christians that are not this lucky.

With this said I think even in Europe and the UK there is a terrible amount of casual ignorance and intolerance towards Christians which is said everyday by educated people in universities. I've personally had lecturers casually misrepresent my faith in front of the whole class which is only laughed at by the other students, similarly flatmates have mocked me for practising my religion which only puts more pressure on 'trying to fit in' at uni. I don't think this kind of behaviour is tolerated for other religions which we see as less privileged than Christianity
salimyasin10
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by JTharma)
Tell that to the millions of Christians being ethnically cleansed. Christians are being slaughtered, forced to convert or subject to threats and intimidation across the Middle East and other Islamic countries. In Iraq there used to be 1.5 million Christians, now there’s 150000.
in china they trying to make it 0 muslims lol
SlightlySummer
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Christians exist in fairly significant numbers in some parts of the Middle East, for example look at Lebanon, Egypt or Palestine. Same goes for India, it was once under British colonial rule.
(Original post by Professional G)
What the hell are you talking about? ‘Christians have been prosecuting other religions’
So it means it’s right that they get prosecuted then? Do you really think it’s right that innocent chrisatians get prosecuted cause their religion has been used to prosecute others?
Are you serious?
Haven’t you seen the Middle East and Israel/Palestine and India?
This isn’t regulated to just one religion so before you open your month, do your research.
Jebedee
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by SlightlySummer)
Christians exist in fairly significant numbers in some parts of the Middle East, for example look at Lebanon, Egypt or Palestine. Same goes for India, it was once under British colonial rule.
At which stage of the genocide should we start caring then?
looloo2134
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Christians in Egypt, Israel Lebanon are known as the perfect minority they are the most education, middle class, law-abiding less likely to be unemployed than Muslims and even Jews in Israel. It would be the worst thing possible for the area for Christians to forced to leave because of persecution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_in_Israel
Archurus23
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by AngryRedhead)
Sounds about right, Christophobia is accepted by many people as an issue which does not warrant much concern
Thank you
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
z-hog
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
On the home front, Christianity is being persecuted to the point of having lots of educated people advocating that no Catholic should ever be PM whilst holding the same 'unacceptable' views that made Tim Farron have to stand down from the leadership of a political party. The biggest problem with Christianity is that they have some funny ideas on abortion, that's why Obama can't get the word out. Muslims shouldn't laugh, it will be their turn when they stop becoming useful for anything and Christianity has been forced underground again. .
SlightlySummer
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
''They are the most education''
Yes, along with the Muslims in Palestine, they are the most educated*.
(Original post by looloo2134)
Christians in Egypt, Israel Lebanon are known as the perfect minority they are the most education, middle class, law-abiding less likely to be unemployed than Muslims and even Jews in Israel. It would be the worst thing possible for the area for Christians to forced to leave because of persecution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_in_Israel
SlightlySummer
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
When the one against Muslims is
(Original post by Jebedee)
At which stage of the genocide should we start caring then?
Sargon1000
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by JTharma)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48146305
“The persecution of Christians in parts of the world is at near "genocide" levels, according to a report ordered by Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt.
The review, led by the Bishop of Truro the Right Reverend Philip Mounstephen, estimated that one in three people suffer from religious persecution.
Christians were the most persecuted religious group, it found.
Mr Hunt said he felt that "political correctness" had played a part in the issue not being confronted.

The interim report said the main impact of "genocidal acts against Christians is exodus" and that Christianity faced being "wiped out" from parts of the Middle East.
It warned the religion "is at risk of disappearing" in some parts of the world, pointing to figures which claimed Christians in Palestine represent less than 1.5% of the population, while in Iraq they had fallen from 1.5 million before 2003 to less than 120,000.”
Be careful because the political correctness police will be after you. See you’re not allowed to oppose the narrative that blacks, Muslims, gays and women are being oppressed every day by whites, Christians and males who may use yesterday’s terms and symbols for ethnic minorities thereby offending liberals on behalf of victim groups.
Professional G
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
When the one against Muslims is
But it already is?? So what’s your point? What do you have against Christians?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (42)
15.91%
The paper was reasonable (131)
49.62%
Not feeling great about that exam... (59)
22.35%
It was TERRIBLE (32)
12.12%

Watched Threads