The Student Room Group

GSA - 2019 entry for Theatre & Performance

Hi there - this course has just been axed by GSA. Are there any students that have been affected by this? (link at the bottom of this post shows exact course name/number)

If YOU (or your child) have been affected by this decision please could the experiences be shared on this thread - so everyone can try and secure a place somewhere, can help each other, and have a voice.

To get the ball rolling....

What have GSA (or University of Surrey) said to you if you have got in touch?
What level of support & guidance have you been offered?
Has anyone been offered a place either at GSA, or at another University yet?
Have UCAS been helpful, and what have they said happens now?
Anyone else surprised, disappointed or heartbroken that the decision to pull this course has been taken so late in the year? Well after many of the application deadlines etc?!

Thanks

http://gsauk.org/courses/undergraduate/ba-hons-theatre-and-performance
Reply 1
My daughter had accepted a firm unconditional offer for BA Dance at GSA. 2 weeks before A levels start is not a great time to through a young persons plans into disarray! Fortunately UCAS and Roehampton ( whom she had prev recieved an offer from) worked quickly and reset her UCAS/reinstated offer.
Reply 2
My daughter was offered a place to study Dance and had firmed as her first choice. Timing of email was disgustingly bad practice and appalling. Contacted Surrey and ‘apparently’ it was a faculty decision. Couldn’t have told people sooner ? No other help offered from uni. Ucas were extremely helpful. She had put Bath spa as insurance which was unconditional so is now her firm choice . Ucas also told us that she had the right to still apply to any other uni despite the dead line having passed . Anyone not sure please contact ucas they will guide you as how to proceed .
Reply 3
My Daughter had a place on this course and only found out by a friend seeing an article on The Stage. We called the admissions team who said they had sent an email the day before - but it had gone into her junk. I wonder how many other students still don't know? She contacted a student that she met on the interview day and they had no idea either. The admissions team said that they were sorry but there was nothing that they could do. Thankfully, UCAS have been very helpful and opened up the places that she'd rejected, plus they are allowing her to apply for an alternative course at a different university.The University of Surrey have not been in touch since. They don't seem to have considered the impact this will have on the young people that had been offered a place on this course and shouldn't be allowed to treat students like this.
Reply 4
I think it’s disgusting how they’ve treated the students this late in the application process . At least my daughter received an email.
Original post by And.Mel
My Daughter had a place on this course and only found out by a friend seeing an article on The Stage. We called the admissions team who said they had sent an email the day before - but it had gone into her junk. I wonder how many other students still don't know? She contacted a student that she met on the interview day and they had no idea either. The admissions team said that they were sorry but there was nothing that they could do. Thankfully, UCAS have been very helpful and opened up the places that she'd rejected, plus they are allowing her to apply for an alternative course at a different university.The University of Surrey have not been in touch since. They don't seem to have considered the impact this will have on the young people that had been offered a place on this course and shouldn't be allowed to treat students like this.
Reply 5
I hope your daughter gets something sorted. I have been appalled by the lack of support or contact from University of Surrey and GSA. The timing of this was terrible, just after the UCAS decision deadline and just before A levels. UCAS were helpful and the other universities my daughter had previously declined were sympathetic and could not believe the lack of support from Surrey.
Original post by And.Mel

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending