The Student Room Group

How did your first driving lesson go?

I had my first driving lesson today and I can't work out whether I done well or not? I stalled a couple times and he would say off the cuff comments about how other cars would be sacred of me, but then afterwards he said I done alright. He literally spent 5 mins telling me about clutch control then I drove for about an hour (I have never driven a car before and I was allowed to just drive after 5 mins:smile:). What doesn't help is he taught most of my family to drive and my dad passed first time so I'm feeling a lot of pressure. How did everyone else's first lesson go if you've had it yet?
Wellll. She drove me to a quiet estate and we basically went theough controls and stuff. Did a bit of theory. Then I was allowed to drive which sort of went ok - was driving slightly in the middle of the road though!

Found out I needed glasses cos the number plates were just black blobs of dirt. So that took aggges to sort.
Reply 2
I didn't enjoy it at all. The car felt too small and I was struggling to adjust my feet. The seat was as far back as possible and my knees were still touching the bottom of the steering wheel. We basically just drove around an estate doing left/right turns as she explained clutch control and junctions to me. At the beginning of the lesson she said "you'll be driving back home by the end of this hour". I did not.

I was pretty depressed afterwards, but my second lesson was with a different instructor (the other one didn't have any space in her schedule, apparently) and my first lesson with him was MUCH better. The car was bigger and I felt much more comfortable. We drove down some country roads, and in general it all felt much better. It definitely worked out for the best.
i got overtaken by a lorry...
We practiced making lots of turns, going into second gear, some clutch control and at the end I drove home.
I'm learning in an automatic so no clutch control to worry about.

After driving around in a car park and learning the basics for 45 mins I went straight out onto the main road absolutely terrified. Continued along a straight road for about 10 miles, turned around and drove back. I had to overtake 2 cyclists and go on these zigzag road with extremely tight turns - at one point the instructor took the wheel as I almost took us into a bush.

By the end I thought I would never do another lesson - told him I didn't like it at all. And now 40-or-so hours of driving later, I have my test booked for 3 weeks with me passing most of my mock tests. No nerves and driving very confidently - sometimes a little too confident!
Spent some time talking through the controls etc then I drove around the block for the rest of the lesson. I was pretty bad, couldn't keep my road positioning and went wide on every corner.
It was fine. I was terrified but we did biting point, clutch, steering etc and then I drove round an area that was very quiet, just practising starting off and then coming to a stop.
Reply 8
I was let to drive after the instructor explained everything and it was just driving in a empty parking lot thing, just to press the gas and breaks. I was so panicky for a first few times, but at the end of the lesson did well... still too strong on the breaks, took me a couple more lessons to learn not to press so strong on the breaks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending