The Student Room Group

is saving my student loan smart or dumb?

i have the maximum student loan allowance and a bursary and most of it goes into my premium bond account

prior to starting university, my intention was to only claim the maximum loan for the first year and then use a combination of savings and claiming less maintenance loan to come out of uni with the least debt possible

however, i decided instead to claim the maximum for all three years, maximise my debt but also my savings

my reasoning was that the maintenance loan is repaid in small manageable amounts, it's likely that i won't repay all of it (which negates the ~6% APR) , and if i do repay all of the loan that probably implies i'm well off enough to not worry about whether or not i could've been slightly richer now had i borrowed less money in the past

and i wanted to come out of uni with a significant amount of savings because i actually want a house some day lmao

have i made a big misunderstanding here or is what i'm doing sensible?

Scroll to see replies

I’m planning to do similarly to this and work part time to pay for living costs. Then I’ll have a nice deposit on a house
Original post by HoldThisL
i have the maximum student loan allowance and a bursary and most of it goes into my premium bond account

prior to starting university, my intention was to only claim the maximum loan for the first year and then use a combination of savings and claiming less maintenance loan to come out of uni with the least debt possible

however, i decided instead to claim the maximum for all three years, maximise my debt but also my savings

my reasoning was that the maintenance loan is repaid in small manageable amounts, it's likely that i won't repay all of it (which negates the ~6% APR) , and if i do repay all of the loan that probably implies i'm well off enough to not worry about whether or not i could've been slightly richer now had i borrowed less money in the past

and i wanted to come out of uni with a significant amount of savings because i actually want a house some day lmao

Why premium bonds :holmes:
Reply 3
great minds think alike or fools never differ?
Either that or using to buy a patch of land to convert into a car park. Nice little earner there. What degree are you studying?
great minds think alike or fools never differ?
Reply 5
Original post by Blue_Cow
Why premium bonds :holmes:

easy access, exceptionally low risk and relatively high return
Reply 6
bsc ppe at warwick yeet jk i hate it. you?
I can see you’re already using the economics part well :laugh:

I am not doing something nearly as prestigious: I am studying biochemistry
bsc ppe at warwick yeet jk i hate it. you?
Reply 8
yes, linear algebra, hypothesis testing and basic economics *really* informing me well

where do you study?
easy access, exceptionally low risk and relatively high return

What's their rate of return, out of curiosity?
I study at the University of Dundee, up in Scotland. What are your eventual plans?
yes, linear algebra, hypothesis testing and basic economics *really* informing me well

where do you study?
I'm not 100% sure but personally I'd go with a Lifetime ISA or H2B rather than premium bonds, purely because of better interest rates
Reply 12
nice

i don't know. might do computer science masters because i want to be an engineer not a job relating to ppe sadly

you?
nice

i don't know. might do computer science masters because i want to be an engineer not a job relating to ppe sadly

you?

Sorry to interject -

If you want to become a software engineer, there's no need to do a CS masters.

Personal projects + internships in the summer is more than enough.
Reply 14
Original post by TCA2b
What's their rate of return, out of curiosity?

i'm not sure what the average % equivalent is because the collective interest of all premium bonds is distributed through randomly drawn prizes, the likelihood of winning prizes increasing with the number of bonds you hold (in case you didn't know)
Unfortunately I don’t know enough about computer science to advise on this; I know you can self teach the languages and employers like a portfolio of projects though. What made you choose PPE?

I’m planning to get into graduate entry medicine myself
nice

you?
Reply 16
Original post by Blue_Cow
Sorry to interject -

If you want to become a software engineer, there's no need to do a CS masters.

Personal projects + internships in the summer is more than enough.

yeah i know but i would probably enjoy it
Reply 17
wanted to be a lawyer when i picked my a levels. although i originally picked maths, one of the assistant principals convinced me not to do it unless i really liked maths

by ucas time i wanted to do economics but no maths a level. ppe at warwick was the best combination of good university and degree with quantitative/economic content that didn't require a level maths

i had pure bsc econ at surrey as my insurance but warwick definitely better
Fair enough; Warwick is an amazing university. Do you find yourself struggling with the quantitive content without the back up of maths A-level?
wanted to be a lawyer when i picked my a levels. although i originally picked maths, one of the assistant principals convinced me not to do it unless i really liked maths

by ucas time i wanted to do economics but no maths a level. ppe at warwick was the best combination of good university and degree with quantitative/economic content that didn't require a level maths

i had pure bsc econ at surrey as my insurance but warwick definitely better

If you just check to be sure, that on your predicted salary you won't completely pay off your loan then otherwise yes it's not a bad idea. I'd second getting a lisa or a help to buy isa,it can really help you with the costs of moving into a house.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending