I'm 18 and haven't had the HPV vaccine... Should I?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm no anti vaxxer, I've had all the other vaccines, but there is just SO MUCH bad stuff about this vaccine out there on the internet. My mum told me not to get it when it was offered to me in year 8 because it was new. Now googling it I'm glad I didn't get it because of all the awful stories, but when I hear myself I sound like an anti vaxxer and I'm mad at myself for being tricked by stupid anti vaxxers on the internet... But then again, this vaccine just seems different from the others. I'm scared. Am I being stupid?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm no anti vaxxer, I've had all the other vaccines, but there is just SO MUCH bad stuff about this vaccine out there on the internet. My mum told me not to get it when it was offered to me in year 8 because it was new. Now googling it I'm glad I didn't get it because of all the awful stories, but when I hear myself I sound like an anti vaxxer and I'm mad at myself for being tricked by stupid anti vaxxers on the internet... But then again, this vaccine just seems different from the others. I'm scared. Am I being stupid?
Why don't you speak to a doctor for advice? There's a lot of fake news about everything out there but a medical professional should be able to give you an ethical scientific answer.
CaCoon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
dont get it. remember it gives autism.
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes, you're being stupid. With any medical treatment, a very small number of people will experience side-effects, and they're the ones who make the news. The 99.9% who had no side-effects aren't exactly newsworthy.

The Gardasil brand of the vaccine that the government has now switched to prevents you not just against HPV and therefore cervical cancer, but also against genital warts (which wouldn't kill you but would be pretty unpleasant if you ever got them). Back when I got the vaccine, the government had opted for the cheaper Cervarix option, so my mother, a GP, decided to get me the Gardasil version. My mother has been a healthcare professional for almost 3 decades and trusts the vaccine - she knows a lot more about it than those promoting scare stories on the internet.

The risks of not getting the vaccine (cancer ==> death) far outweigh the tiny risks of getting it.
thatonethere
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was the first batch to get vaccinated using the cheaper one just against types 16 and 18 and had no issues, if you've not been sexually active I advise getting it, it's such a simple way to prevent a horrific cancer xxx
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CaCoon)
dont get it. remember it gives autism.
You're an idiot.
CaCoon
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You're an idiot.
Your*
LeapingLucy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
And regarding the scare stories about it on the internet, most are absolute rubbish.

Take this one:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...h-therapy.html

The headline says that the girl was paralysed by the vaccine. In reality, she didn't become paralysed until 2 years after the vaccine, and there is no proof of a connection between the two - medical professionals have suggested it is the result of something else.

You could just as easily say: "I went to France two years ago, and now I'm paralysed. Going to France causes paralysis."

Correlation is not causation.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
Your*
You're as in YOU ARE
:lol:
Wow.... just...wow.
LeapingLucy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Your*
Nope, you're.

To explain:
'You're an idiot'
'Your post was idiotic'
CaCoon
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
Nope, you're.

To explain:
'You're an idiot'
'Your post was idiotic'
-definitely not being sarcastic-
CaCoon
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You're as in YOU ARE
:lol:
Wow.... just...wow.
u dont even speak grammar wow
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
u dont even speak grammar wow
Nope, I speak English actually :-D
Anonymous #3
Report 1 week ago
I wouldn't. I didn't have it when I was offered to because to be honest, if you're not going to be sleeping around then there is no point. Also a few countries such as Japan and Denmark (I think?) have stopped recommending it because of safety issues.
lilystoneham
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I've never known anyone to have bad side effects from it, all 210 girls in my year who got it were fine. I highly recommend it as cancer/death are way worse. Even if you don't plan on 'sleeping around' there is a possibility that you can get it from anyone, even if you only plan on having one sexual partner, HPV can also be spread through kissing so I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Anonymous #4
Report 1 week ago
Nope, I speak English actually :-D
lol this post went from vaccine to English tuition lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (608)
49.11%
No (630)
50.89%

Watched Threads