rosel100
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
did he or not? there's a source that says he accepted it but then there is a quote in which he refers to it is a 'miserable subterfuge' :/
Joe312
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Kant called Hume's version of soft determinism a wretched subterfuge because in Hume's version human actions were completely determined, it's just that as long as they resulted from internal causes then that is re-defined as free will.

Kant believed that the phenomenal world that we experience is completely determined because our minds have the faculty of causation which organises our experience into causal relations.

However the noumenal world is the true objective world as it is separate from our perception, the 'thing-in-itself'. Our soul and God exist in the noumenal world and since our actions come from our soul, technically they are free from the cause and effect in phenomenal experience.

So Kant is a soft determinist of an unusual sort.
rosel100
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
thank you so much!!
(Original post by Joe312)
Kant called Hume's version of soft determinism a wretched subterfuge because in Hume's version human actions were completely determined, it's just that as long as they resulted from internal causes then that is re-defined as free will.

Kant believed that the phenomenal world that we experience is completely determined because our minds have the faculty of causation which organises our experience into causal relations.

However the noumenal world is the true objective world as it is separate from our perception, the 'thing-in-itself'. Our soul and God exist in the noumenal world and since our actions come from our soul, technically they are free from the cause and effect in phenomenal experience.

So Kant is a soft determinist of an unusual sort.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (25)
13.81%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.63%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.97%
I need help with my personal statement (76)
41.99%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (42)
23.2%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.66%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.73%

Watched Threads