Local elections - do they tell us anything? Watch

ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
According to May, her resounding loss at the local elections in England mean that they [Tories] need to deliver Brexit. Well get on with it then!

According to Cable, his resounding increase in seats at the local elections in England mean that Brexit needs to be halted.

Either way, I have heard a lot of "we must listen to the people". Trouble is, which people should be listened to? Or is it just the ones the speaker happens to agree with?
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
May's comments are factually wrong. If people voted away from/against the Conservative Party because they have failed to deliver Brexit then we would have seen a surge in votes for either UKIP or Labour. We've seen neither.

Cable is partially correct. I'd imagine that a lot of the people who voted Lib Dem are very dissatisfied with the way the government has handled Brexit and used the local election as a protest vote.

That said, it isn't indicative that the public have changed their mind and that we should cancel Brexit (although personally I think we should). Local elections (like the European elections) have a much lower turnout than general elections. They aid the opposition since they're disproportionately more inclined to go out and vote.

All of this also ignores the fact that not everyone votes for their local candidate based on what the national government is/isn't doing.
Trotsky's Iceaxe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It certainly means that the Conservatives took an absolute spanking. Unless I've missed a year, you've got to go back to 1995 to see a greater loss of councillors for a single party.

Either the Lib Dems and Greens are doing exceptionally well on local issues and no one has really noticed until today, or plenty of remain supporters are protest voting while leave supporters are doing sod all.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe)
It certainly means that the Conservatives took an absolute spanking. Unless I've missed a year, you've got to go back to 1995 to see a greater loss of councillors for a single party.

Either the Lib Dems and Greens are doing exceptionally well on local issues and no one has really noticed until today, or plenty of remain supporters are protest voting while leave supporters are doing sod all.
The local elections are likely to be for remainers what the European elections will be for leavers: a protest vote.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
(Original post by SHallowvale)
The local elections are likely to be for remainers what the European elections will be for leavers: a protest vote.
I am inclined to agree except the small fact that UKIP got a trouncing.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
I am inclined to agree except the small fact that UKIP got a trouncing.
They did but they've also been replaced by the Brexit Party, which hadn't put forth candidates for the local election.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
(Original post by SHallowvale)
They did but they've also been replaced by the Brexit Party, which hadn't put forth candidates for the local election.
Perhaps, but their message remains the same.
Prussianxo
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
Perhaps, but their message remains the same.
UKIP's more focused on 'removing the islamification of britain' so they've basically turned into the BNP
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ROCF1FAN
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You have to remember that the local elections dont take place everywhere in the UK, the real view will come with European Elections this month. Although on the topic of the greens, i have seen the support for Caroline Lucas growing online over the last 6 or 7 months.
MWills99
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The turnout for these local elections were 39% (correct me if I'm wrong). This doesn't tell us anything either way really.
ColinDent
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Seriously wouldn't read too much into the results of a mid term local election, Tories did shite, Labour did shite, Lib Dems fared better but still aren't polling as well as 2010, Greens did reasonably well but can stand on the very current issue of climate change above that of brexit, Independent exceeded all expectations and who knows what they stand for.
If you wish for a definitive answer on how the general populace of the UK thinks about the EU and our governments/ parliaments handling of it then wait a couple of weeks and you will be in no doubt.
I'm willing to accept that if the opposite of what I believe will happen occurs then that will be unequivocal proof that the country no longer believes that leaving the EU is what we want, are the remainers amongst you willing to do the same if we still vote for leave parties?
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
they tell us people are pissed off and lacking leadership and direction.

For the conservatives its pretty obvious - they are taking a hammering because they have disappointed both sides of their core base. your right-wing leave means leave types are angry at them for not delivering brexit, and your economy-minded richer tories are pissed off at them for all the delays/indecision... neither wants to vote for labor, so if they went for local indipendants, and lib-dems if they are remain-inclined.

For labour it showed that we still seem to have reached (and gone past) peak-corbyn. His appeal, both of himself and his politics just doesn't resonate with enough of the country, and now that he has energised his core base to the maximum.. hes not growing any more. Their stance on brexit is confusing, so they are not winning any more votes there either.

For the lib dems - it gives them hope they can build back to their 2010 levels, as a lot of the seats they seem to be gaining are in places they had back then. But can they keep it up once brexit is resolved and their main campaign issue is gone?

Greens - good night for them, probably boosted by the massive focus on the enviroment recently

Indipendnats - Brilliant. the more independent representation the better for me. This was my best bit of the night. My town is now predominately run by indipendants who live in it, and only are there to represent it, not a Westminster party. Love it. They need to prove they can do a good job though, because most of them have been given this great chance by a protest-vote, and if they don't prove that towns are better off run without Westminster parties, then people will just revert back to tribal voting next time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (111)
22.42%
The paper was reasonable (223)
45.05%
Not feeling great about that exam... (83)
16.77%
It was TERRIBLE (78)
15.76%

Watched Threads