The Student Room Group

I have not got good A levels

I would like to study Philosophy at university, however I only got A (Biology), B (Chemistry) and C (Physics). Is it ok to do one other A level so I could potentially have A*ABC. Do I need to do three A levels at the same time or could I get onto a Philosophy course by just doing one A level? Is it ok to do an extra A level like this?

Scroll to see replies

You would be better off just resitting the ones you arent happy with, 4 a-levels are not necessary for uni courses. Better to have 3 good ones than 4 ok ones

@PQ
Reply 2
ABC will still get you onto some philosophy courses.
Reply 3
Original post by CoolCavy
You would be better off just resitting the ones you arent happy with, 4 a-levels are not necessary for uni courses. Better to have 3 good ones than 4 ok ones

@PQ

I got those results a few years ago so I can’t really resit can I? I’ve also recently become interested in History and Philosophy and thought if I want to do these subjects at uni I better study them at A level. So would you advise to do History and Philosophy at A-level?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Lostx
I got those results a few years ago so I can’t really resit can I?

It's unlikely but you could get into plenty of places with ABC but many places that want above might not be keen on resits/ an a level taken at a different time so it might not be a good option. do you know where you'd like to go? perhaps foundation years could be a better option for you.
Reply 5
Original post by Lostx
I got those results a few years ago so I can’t really resit can I? I’ve also recently become interested in History and Philosophy and thought if I want to do these subjects at uni I better study them at A level. So would you advise to do History and Philosophy at A-level?

How old are you? Slightly low grades are even less of a concern if you go as a 'mature' student. I know, cos I did it.
Reply 6
ABC... easy as 123...
Reply 7
Would it look better if I got 2 A*s, 1 A, 1 B and 1 C at A-level compared to ABC?
Reply 8
Original post by gjd800
How old are you? Slightly low grades are even less of a concern if you go as a 'mature' student. I know, cos I did it.

How old do you have to be to be considered a mature student?
Reply 9
Original post by Lostx
How old do you have to be to be considered a mature student?

I think UCAS et al. count anyone over 21 in this bracket.
It wouldn't hurt to check some of the entry requirements for unis, I'm sure there's some that will offer places for ABC.
Reply 11
Original post by gjd800
I think UCAS et al. count anyone over 21 in this bracket.

Do you just need to let UCAS realise you are over 21 or do you need to write it in the personal statement?

Do all unis have lower entrance requirements for mature students?
Reply 12
Original post by claireestelle
It's unlikely but you could get into plenty of places with ABC but many places that want above might not be keen on resits/ an a level taken at a different time so it might not be a good option. do you know where you'd like to go? perhaps foundation years could be a better option for you.

I want to go to Southampton.
Reply 13
Original post by Lostx
Do you just need to let UCAS realise you are over 21 or do you need to write it in the personal statement?

Do all unis have lower entrance requirements for mature students?

They just know. Not all universities do, but a significant proportion do take it into account. My A Levels were worse than yours and I did philosophy at a good department.
Original post by Lostx
I want to go to Southampton.

did you do the epq,it's best to email them and check how they would feel about you applying there, they might accept lower as your a mature student but not every university does so it's best to check.
Reply 15
did you do the epq,it's best to email them and check how they would feel about you applying there, they might accept lower as your a mature student but not every university does so it's best to check.

I got an A in my EPQ
Original post by Lostx
I got an A in my EPQ

They mention going one grade lower if you have an A in your EPQ, so it seems hopefully but contact them to check.
Reply 17
Original post by Lostx
I got an A in my EPQ

I reckon they'd take you. Bang an email to their admissions officer.
Reply 18
They mention going one grade lower if you have an A in your EPQ, so it seems hopefully but contact them to check.

Reply 19
Original post by Lostx

No philosophy dept in the country expects you to have done phil at A level. Can't speak for history, but philosophy I can speak for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending