Help with "Evaluate the view that parliament is still in need of significant reform"

Watch this thread
username4303682
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Apart from an elected House of Lords, what other significant reforms could be introduced?
Last edited by username4303682; 3 years ago
Aslihan23
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Possibly, a more updated way to vote for Bills instead of the current procedure.
username4303682
Rep:
And what would that provide? Greater scrutiny of the executive?
(Original post by PleasantShudder)
Possibly, a more updated way to vote for Bills instead of the current procedure.
Buspollaw
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
You could talk about moving to a more representative electoral system
(Original post by theoldkanye)
Apart from an elected House of Lords, what other significant reforms could be introduced?
username4303682
Rep:
I feel like that has more to do with democracy and participation rather than the functioning of Parliament, but I could be wrong
(Original post by Buspollaw)
You could talk about moving to a more representative electoral system
Aslihan23
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hmm not really. It would just help to modernise parliament and speed up the process of making laws-help with their legislative functions.
Buspollaw
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
How about separating the executive and the legislative to provide effective checks and balances?
(Original post by theoldkanye)
I feel like that has more to do with democracy and participation rather than the functioning of Parliament, but I could be wrong
username4303682
Rep:
Oh right like the US, so they would have separate mandates, could be a good point
(Original post by Buspollaw)
How about separating the executive and the legislative to provide effective checks and balances?
Wellnowhe
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
For arguments against you can argue that the Lords has become more assertive in challenging the government largely due to independence and a wide range of expertise

The select committees are largely assertive in terms of having an appointed leader through voting than by the whips - Willingness to challenge the government and scrutinise legislation

Backbench business committee has helped advance backbenchers holding the government to account and triple of urgent questions.
—-
Lords are unelected and lack legitimacy and have many limitations in scrutiny

Parliament should carry out a reduction of seats - improve political equality and parliamentary representation

Elections to parliament should be reformed
username4303682
Rep:
Thank you so much, I forgot the question would include recent reforms
(Original post by Wellnowhe)
For arguments against you can argue that the Lords has become more assertive in challenging the government largely due to independence and a wide range of expertise

The select committees are largely assertive in terms of having an appointed leader through voting than by the whips - Willingness to challenge the government and scrutinise legislation

Backbench business committee has helped advance backbenchers holding the government to account and triple of urgent questions.
—-
Lords are unelected and lack legitimacy and have many limitations in scrutiny

Parliament should carry out a reduction of seats - improve political equality and parliamentary representation

Elections to parliament should be reformed
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (154)
41.62%
Not yet, but I will soon (69)
18.65%
No (147)
39.73%

Watched Threads