The importance of English Literature... Watch

Scared15
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Due to me being an... idiot. I have left this to the last second.
I have my English Literature GCSE's in a few weeks, and after receiving a 2 in literature, and a low 3 in Language (yes Ik I'm am sooo bad at English) during my Year 11 mocks, I thought to myself that I could either focus on Language, and hopefully manage to get a 5 (and basically neglect literature), or I could manage them both evenly, and maybe (MAYBE) pass them both. I decided that it was more beneficial for me to do the first, and I am now slightly regretting it.

I am now wondering how important the two GCSE's are by themselves, and relative to one another. And I am worried that literature is far more important than I previously thought. All comments regarding this matter are welcome.
Thanks...
MinaBee
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Scared15)
Due to me being an... idiot. I have left this to the last second.
I have my English Literature GCSE's in a few weeks, and after receiving a 2 in literature, and a low 3 in Language (yes Ik I'm am sooo bad at English) during my Year 11 mocks, I thought to myself that I could either focus on Language, and hopefully manage to get a 5 (and basically neglect literature), or I could manage them both evenly, and maybe (MAYBE) pass them both. I decided that it was more beneficial for me to do the first, and I am now slightly regretting it.

I am now wondering how important the two GCSE's are by themselves, and relative to one another. And I am worried that literature is far more important than I previously thought. All comments regarding this matter are welcome.
Thanks...
English language is a lot more important. When you see a job asking for passes in English and maths they're talking about language, not literature.

Lit is a nice GCSE to have but if you fail it, it isn't the end of the world (unless you're wanting to do an English lit degree or something which I'm guessing you're not).
Scared15
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by MinaBee)
English language is a lot more important. When you see a job asking for passes in English and maths they're talking about language, not literature.

Lit is a nice GCSE to have but if you fail it, it isn't the end of the world (unless you're wanting to do an English lit degree or something which I'm guessing you're not).
Thanks for the confirmation, this is what I thought, but after having a conversation with a friend I've been left feeling shaken about literature. It's good to have some confirmation. And btw, I am definitely not going into English, I find it incredibly difficult to force myself to do, and I have much more interest in Maths, Physics, and Computer Science.
MinaBee
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Scared15)
Thanks for the confirmation, this is what I thought, but after having a conversation with a friend I've been left feeling shaken about literature. It's good to have some confirmation. And btw, I am definitely not going into English, I find it incredibly difficult to force myself to do, and I have much more interest in Maths, Physics, and Computer Science.
Ah don't worry about it. Some schools don't even offer English literature so it wouldn't be fair to make it a ''crucial'' GCSE. I'd definitely spend more time revising English language to guarantee a pass.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (25)
67.57%
No I haven't decided yet (6)
16.22%
Yes but I might change my mind (6)
16.22%

Watched Threads