Media Production or Communications and Media?

Watch
Kayee.3
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’ve applied for Media Production at Bournemouth University but now wondering whether it would be better to study Communications and Media. If anyone does either subject could you give an overview of the course?
Last edited by Kayee.3; 1 year ago
BU Students
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I'm a third year in the Media and Communication faculty. What I can tell is that the Media Production course looks much more practical, and you'll be producing different types of media content like film, audio, scripts, digital design; and Communications and Media looks more analytical of how media is specifically used in communicating and from that you can work in PR or Journalism. I'd recommend you think about which one sounds like more fun of a course to be on, since you'll be spending 3 years doing it. What sort of a career are you after?

If you need to change your course, you can email the future students team at [email protected] and they should be able to help you.

- Laura, Student Ambassador
Kayee.3
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, thanks for the help!

I'm not too sure what sector of media I would like to work in, though from what I gathered the Communications and Media course seems to have higher employment prospects which is making me consider this as a choice, as well as my interest in marketing and advertisement. Though, I do love the idea of the practical Media Production course since I'm into editing and filming and would probably enjoy the creative aspect of the course a lot.

(Original post by BU Students)
Hi, I'm a third year in the Media and Communication faculty. What I can tell is that the Media Production course looks much more practical, and you'll be producing different types of media content like film, audio, scripts, digital design; and Communications and Media looks more analytical of how media is specifically used in communicating and from that you can work in PR or Journalism. I'd recommend you think about which one sounds like more fun of a course to be on, since you'll be spending 3 years doing it. What sort of a career are you after?

If you need to change your course, you can email the future students team at [email protected] and they should be able to help you.

- Laura, Student Ambassador
Last edited by Kayee.3; 1 year ago
Melobond
Badges: 10
Report 1 year ago
If you do decide to do media prod message me cause we have a Facebook group set up x
BU Students
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hiya,
I'm a second year BA (hons) Communication and Media student at BU so hopefully I can help.
First of all I would say that both of the courses that you are considering are quite different - media and comms is very theory based, you don't do a lot of production work other than creating a blog, infographic CV, news article etc but with media production you actually make proper clips of things etc. As Laura mentioned, media and comms is very analytical for example we are often studying texts and are understanding why the producer have used that camera shot for example.
We do study Marketing and advertising. Media and comms is a very general media course giving you knowledge into many sectors of the Media Industry so it is great for career prospects, however I would have a think about how much you enjoy production and editing because as I said before, we do very little in terms of production.
Alice
(Original post by Kayee.3)
Hi, thanks for the help!

I'm not too sure what sector of media I would like to work in, though from what I gathered the Communications and Media course seems to have higher employment prospects which is making me consider this as a choice, as well as my interest in marketing and advertisement. Though, I do love the idea of the practical Media Production course since I'm into editing and filming and would probably enjoy the creative aspect of the course a lot.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (97)
28.36%
No - I have already returned home (44)
12.87%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (65)
19.01%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (35)
10.23%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.53%

Watched Threads