Selekt1234
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have a six marker on Arteries and veins
I have said these things for arteries but i dont know how to compare it to veins
wall is thick ;
thick layer of collagen ;
collagen provides strength ;
endothelium folded
so no damage to, endothelium / artery wall as it
stretches

to maintain pressure
thick layer of elastic tissue
to cause recoil and return to original size ;
thick layer of smooth muscle ;
narrows lumen
liam.ro
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
An easy way to go about a comparison question if you're unsure is to contrast the differences between the two elements around a single feature. In this case, you've mentioned wall thickness, elastic tissue, lumen size, etc.. So, for example, try to explain why veins have thinner walls, have less elastic tissue, and a wider lumen than arteries by relating them to its function.

Let me know how it goes!
bellajames1999
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Think about the purpose of the 2 different vessels and where they are taking blood to and from.

Veins are taking deoxygenated blood back to the heart so the blood does not need to be under as much pressure (compared to arteries that need the high pressure to reach all capillaries and allow nutrient transfer into cells) therefore the walls are thinner. They also contain valves to stop the back flow of blood due to the slower blood flow.

For a comparison 6 marker, I usually follow the plan of:
- define or explain the key words (this case vein and artery)
- describe the structure and function of one
- compare and contrast the structure and function of the other (using words such as whereas arteries have..../similarly to veins, arteries...)
- potential for conclusion with main differences (if you feel that they haven't been as obvious throughout)

Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (692)
33.77%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (874)
42.65%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (391)
19.08%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (92)
4.49%

Watched Threads