A-level AQA Psychology - 16 markers Watch

Laila.kurn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I really need help on how to structure 16 markers. I'm getting really confused on what to include and how to phase the different questions that are phrased as discuss, describe and evaluate etc. if you guys have any tips.. I will be so grateful!!!
TherealDavisAlex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey,

The psychology 16 markers - no matter if they say "describe and evaluate" or "discuss" - are expected to be answered in the same way.

There are 6 marks on offer for AO1 (description) and 10 marks on offer for AO3 (evaluation).

Typically, I'd spend about 9/10 minutes doing AO1 and the rest of my time (around 11-15) minutes doing AO3. Consequently, I would do one long paragraph of description (around 150 words) and 4 separate evaluation paragraphs. It is important to show clearly when you are starting an evaluation paragraph, so ALWAYS begin with "one criticism of working memory model is..." or "one strength of the working memory model is..." at the start of each paragraph. You should end the paragraph with an explanation of why that is a criticism or a strength by saying "this is a limitation of the model because..." or "this is a strength of the model because...", to show to the examiner that you have explained your point well.

You could also be given an apply question, which awards AO2 (application) marks, but all you need to do for this weave the AO1 and the item together

Hope this helps!
Laila.kurn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thank you so much!! so if it is a question that says like 'discuss two biological explanations of schizophrenia' do I describe the 2 factors in the A01 paragraph and then evaluate them both with either 2 criticisms or strengths each.. or do I explain the first factor and evaluate it and then put 'another biological explanation is' and then evaluate that one another?
(Original post by TherealDavisAlex)
Hey,

The psychology 16 markers - no matter if they say "describe and evaluate" or "discuss" - are expected to be answered in the same way.

There are 6 marks on offer for AO1 (description) and 10 marks on offer for AO3 (evaluation).

Typically, I'd spend about 9/10 minutes doing AO1 and the rest of my time (around 11-15) minutes doing AO3. Consequently, I would do one long paragraph of description (around 150 words) and 4 separate evaluation paragraphs. It is important to show clearly when you are starting an evaluation paragraph, so ALWAYS begin with "one criticism of working memory model is..." or "one strength of the working memory model is..." at the start of each paragraph. You should end the paragraph with an explanation of why that is a criticism or a strength by saying "this is a limitation of the model because..." or "this is a strength of the model because...", to show to the examiner that you have explained your point well.

You could also be given an apply question, which awards AO2 (application) marks, but all you need to do for this weave the AO1 and the item together

Hope this helps!
nintysixthousand
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i did a-levels last year to this may not be accurate but i think its 6 marks for description(3 points) and ten marks for evaluation(4 points and you can add a 5th if you have extra time)
theres a different structure for apply it questions, i believe its still 10 marks for eval, then 6 marks for describe and evaluate.
good luck with your exams!
TherealDavisAlex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think it makes a lot more sense to evaluate them separately. I would write the AO1 for one explanation, then write two AO3 paragraphs, then write the AO1 for the other explanation and then write two AO3 paragraphs for that explanation. But you could also do three AO3 paragraphs for one explanation and one AO3 paragraph for the other explanation, according to my teacher.

Glad to see someone else doing SZ btw

(Original post by Laila.kurn)
Thank you so much!! so if it is a question that says like 'discuss two biological explanations of schizophrenia' do I describe the 2 factors in the A01 paragraph and then evaluate them both with either 2 criticisms or strengths each.. or do I explain the first factor and evaluate it and then put 'another biological explanation is' and then evaluate that one another?
Afterlife?
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
When it says discuss two you need to be saying in your evaluation which one is better which one is worse and general synoptic links and why to get that Level 4 answer. Also it would never say discuss 2 biological explanations for a 16 marker, If there was a discuss 2 it would be on two separate things for example: 'Discuss two or more explanations of schizophrenia'. And then in your answer you can evaluate 2 theories at the same time for example: 'both psychological and biological explanations only treat symptoms not cause' etc instead of doing it for them in separate paragraphs, so you get that 2 in 1
phantomdiarrhea
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
These exam Qs and essay plans really helped: https://alevelsresources424893.wordp...and-year-2-a2/

https://www.tes.com/teaching-resourc...plans-11925039
Niamhnmk
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The documents say they are protected when I try to open them, is there a way around this?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Brighton
    Photography MA open afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Plymouth
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (30)
25.21%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (39)
32.77%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (22)
18.49%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (8)
6.72%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (20)
16.81%

Watched Threads