Help! I fainted during an exam and was sick.

Watch this thread
A_Literal_Mess
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I was sitting my higher maths paper and was fine during the morning up until half way through paper 2 when I started having cold and hot flushes, dizzyness and a drop in blood pressure. I knew I was soon to faint and be sick. I get this often and am still awaiting test results as to why this happens on a regular basis. I decided to fight through it all and complete the paper (even during extra time) knowing I had flunked my prelim and I was determined to pass. I had a remaining 40 minutes and put my hand up, asked to go to the toilet and passed out while walking to the door. I then passed out a further two times outside the exam room and again as well as being sick in the schools reception. I was told the paper was okay to be handed to the SQA as long as I was happy I had finnished it and it was recorded that I became unwell and I found it extremely hard to concentrate on the paper half way through.

Although this has been marked down by the invegilator will the information be taken seriously and will consideration be made as it was something I could not of predicted to have happened and it came upon me half way through? I understand that I should of told the invigilator the second I felt unwell but I recorded the time and thought it would of been better to have completed the paper and not disrupted the others in the room (My mental attitude was that I was falling out the door after completing it or being carried out) as I knew from experiance how long I had left before I passed out and I was so determined.
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by A_Literal_Mess)
I was sitting my higher maths paper and was fine during the morning up until half way through paper 2 when I started having cold and hot flushes, dizzyness and a drop in blood pressure. I knew I was soon to faint and be sick. I get this often and am still awaiting test results as to why this happens on a regular basis. I decided to fight through it all and complete the paper (even during extra time) knowing I had flunked my prelim and I was determined to pass. I had a remaining 40 minutes and put my hand up, asked to go to the toilet and passed out while walking to the door. I then passed out a further two times outside the exam room and again as well as being sick in the schools reception. I was told the paper was okay to be handed to the SQA as long as I was happy I had finnished it and it was recorded that I became unwell and I found it extremely hard to concentrate on the paper half way through.

Although this has been marked down by the invegilator will the information be taken seriously and will consideration be made as it was something I could not of predicted to have happened and it came upon me half way through? I understand that I should of told the invigilator the second I felt unwell but I recorded the time and thought it would of been better to have completed the paper and not disrupted the others in the room (My mental attitude was that I was falling out the door after completing it or being carried out) as I knew from experiance how long I had left before I passed out and I was so determined.
Speak to whoever in your school is the SQA centre lead/ coordinates the exams (usually a depute head or similar). It will probably qualify you for an extenuating circumstances request, as you were clearly unwell (more info here https://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/79042.html). Be quick though, as they need to submit the request within 10 working days of the exam. Even if you don't feel like you should (I know sometimes people feel guilty about it or that they have done okay enough or it would feel unfair), please do ask for it to be submitted- it won't do any harm to your grade, and by the time you get your results in August, nothing can be done if it's turned out being unwell affected you more than you thought.

Hope that you are feeling a bit better now, and that they can get to the bottom of it for you
A_Literal_Mess
Rep:
Thank you, one of the deputy heads was alerted about the situation and spoke to my mother at the time and told us she would see what she could do. I hope I can get to the bottom of it soon as its starting to affect my life more.
(Original post by Labrador99)
Speak to whoever in your school is the SQA centre lead/ coordinates the exams (usually a depute head or similar). It will probably qualify you for an extenuating circumstances request, as you were clearly unwell (more info here https://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/79042.html). Be quick though, as they need to submit the request within 10 working days of the exam. Even if you don't feel like you should (I know sometimes people feel guilty about it or that they have done okay enough or it would feel unfair), please do ask for it to be submitted- it won't do any harm to your grade, and by the time you get your results in August, nothing can be done if it's turned out being unwell affected you more than you thought.

Hope that you are feeling a bit better now, and that they can get to the bottom of it for you
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Ok, bizarrely I had something similar - not exactly the same obviously- but I've been ill the past few weeks and it came to a bit of an epitome in the exam. I finished the paper after receiving time added on at the end and going elsewhere - parents had contacted the school well in advance of exams about the illness. Basically, I got a B in the prelim and I'm hoping for an A, however, not sure if I submit this request if they will look at my prelim and basically be like, yeah they'll get a B. Any more advice on how this would actually work in practice
A_Literal_Mess
Rep:
My schools depute said they could use the result of my prelim or I could hand in my papers and they'd look at it with consideration to what happened as well as taking into account my prelim result etc. If that helps you
(Original post by 123543)
Ok, bizarrely I had something similar - not exactly the same obviously- but I've been ill the past few weeks and it came to a bit of an epitome in the exam. I finished the paper after receiving time added on at the end and going elsewhere - parents had contacted the school well in advance of exams about the illness. Basically, I got a B in the prelim and I'm hoping for an A, however, not sure if I submit this request if they will look at my prelim and basically be like, yeah they'll get a B. Any more advice on how this would actually work in practice
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by A_Literal_Mess)
Thank you, one of the deputy heads was alerted about the situation and spoke to my mother at the time and told us she would see what she could do. I hope I can get to the bottom of it soon as its starting to affect my life more.
That's good that they're working on it. I'd recommend checking in with them next week to ask what they're going to do, just to make sure they are giving you the best chance with it- most schools are great, but occasionally we do hear of people let down a bit with these things

(Original post by 123543)
As far as I know, if you did better than your prelim grade of a B in the exam, you'd be given the grade you got in the exam
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (133)
39.94%
They're exactly what I expected (81)
24.32%