Alisha999
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello,

When I send some emails to a person, (sometimes with some personal information) I get an email after a few days saying Microsoft Exchange Approval assistant. 'Your message has expired without any moderator decision for the following recipient".

Does this mean that my email has not gone through to the recipient? It has happened twice now within a week. What do I do?

Thank you very much
winterscoming
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Whoever you're sending it to has a restricted mailbox where the administrator has switched on a feature called Message Approvals. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exc...ssage-approval

There are two possibilities:
1) All mail to that person is always moderated by someone who needs to manually approve any messages you're sending to them -- if that's the case then someone should be monitoring it (but not necessarily).

2) There is an automatic approval filter which may or may not be working properly, and maybe nobody is monitoring it.
- In thise case, maybe the message you're sending contains something that the automatic filter doesn't like. For example, maybe it's filtering an attachment, or some specific words/phrases you've used, or maybe it's identified some bit of information that you've included that it doesn't like, maybe you're sending from an email address it doesn't like. Maybe your computer/device is infected with a virus which has embedded itself in the email you're sending, etc.

If it's an automatic filter, then one thing you could try would be to send that person a plain text e-mail without any attachments, images, markup/formatting, etc. Try to let that person know that your emails are being filtered out when you're trying to contact them.

You could also try sending from a different computer in case your device has a virus on it (hopefully not, but just in case, also make sure that it has the proper security/protection enabled - e.g. if on Windows 10 make sure Windows Defender is on, and up-to-date, and let it scan everything for problems).

Also try a different email account just in case there's a problem with the account or address you're sending from.

Failing all of that, there is nothing else you can do except attempt to contact this person by some other means or try to find out who has set up the filtering on that mailbox and contact them instead to ask what the actual problem is. (it might just not be working properly and they might not be aware)
Last edited by winterscoming; 1 year ago
Alisha999
Rep:
?
Thank you. So I'm guessing the email is not getting to them right?

I blamed myself and thought the recipient probably blocked me or didn't like what I sent!

Thank you
(Original post by winterscoming)
Whoever you're sending it to has a restricted mailbox where the administrator has switched on a feature called Message Approvals. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exc...ssage-approval

There are two possibilities:
1) All mail to that person is always moderated by someone who needs to manually approve any messages you're sending to them -- if that's the case then someone should be monitoring it (but not necessarily).

2) There is an automatic approval filter which may or may not be working properly, and maybe nobody is monitoring it.
- In thise case, maybe the message you're sending contains something that the automatic filter doesn't like. For example, maybe it's filtering an attachment, or some specific words/phrases you've used, or maybe it's identified some bit of information that you've included that it doesn't like, maybe you're sending from an email address it doesn't like. Maybe your computer/device is infected with a virus which has embedded itself in the email you're sending, etc.

If it's an automatic filter, then one thing you could try would be to send that person a plain text e-mail without any attachments, images, markup/formatting, etc. Try to let that person know that your emails are being filtered out when you're trying to contact them.

You could also try sending from a different computer in case your device has a virus on it (hopefully not, but just in case, also make sure that it has the proper security/protection enabled - e.g. if on Windows 10 make sure Windows Defender is on, and up-to-date, and let it scan everything for problems).

Also try a different email account just in case there's a problem with the account or address you're sending from.

Failing all of that, there is nothing else you can do except attempt to contact this person by some other means or try to find out who has set up the filtering on that mailbox and contact them instead to ask what the actual problem is. (it might just not be working properly and they might not be aware)
winterscoming
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Alisha999)
Thank you. So I'm guessing the email is not getting to them right?

I blamed myself and thought the recipient probably blocked me or didn't like what I sent!

Thank you
Yeah the emails won't be getting through, but unlikely to be caused by anything that you or they have done deliberately.

It may also be that the mailbox filter rules have detected the fact that you're sending personal information (e.g. credit card numbers are really easy for it to spot), so if the email address you're sending to belongs to a business or to a govt. organisation then it might be rejected on the basis that they don't want their e-mail servers handling personal data due to GDPR (general data protection regulations). For example, I think NHS e-mail addresses usually reject personal information because the NHS wanted to stop clinical staff sending peoples' medical data over email.
Last edited by winterscoming; 1 year ago
Alisha999
Rep:
?
The email you see is to a school, and it's about personal issues such as family,sexuality etc. However in previous emails that I have received or sent about such subjects this message wouldn't always pop up.

Thank you.
(Original post by winterscoming)
Yeah the emails won't be getting through, but unlikely to be caused by anything that you or they have done deliberately.

It may also be that the mailbox filter rules have detected the fact that you're sending personal information (e.g. credit card numbers are really easy for it to spot), so if the email address you're sending to belongs to a business or to a govt. organisation then it might be rejected on the basis that they don't want their e-mail servers handling personal data due to GDPR (general data protection regulations). For example, I think NHS e-mail addresses usually reject personal information because the NHS wanted to stop clinical staff sending peoples' medical data over email.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (654)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (824)
42.37%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (380)
19.54%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (87)
4.47%

Watched Threads